Saturday, March 26, 2016

Brush Lettering - In Real Time


Learning brush lettering has been a great adventure. I love exploring different styles and techniques. My primary source of instruction has been instagram - there are so many artists sharing their art through that platform. It's awesome of them to share their skills, techniques and tools. I follow a lot of artists and I learn a lot from those 15 second videos.

But don't even get me started on Instagram's new feed algorithm. The chronological feed is one of the main reasons I love instagram - if they go away from that it's just going to turn into Facebook. And nobody wants that. 

Anyway...

I've had a few people ask me how I'm learning hand lettering. 

First, practice. Lots and lots of practice (and lots of paper). 

Second, I'm a big ol' copy cat. I look at the way others are writing - the size, thickness, variations in the base line and how they write each letter.

Since instagram videos are almost always sped up to fit within the 15 second time limit - hand lettering looks a little easier than it really is. Now, I'm in no way claiming that I know what I'm doing - but below you'll find 2 real time videos. It'll give you a better idea of how slow I write (though I should really go slower) and where I take breaks to move my hand.

I hope you find them helpful!







For those of you looking for some examples of amazing lettering - below is a list of artists that I follow on instagram. They are all incredibly talented.

@throughpaintandpen
@flaxandwooldesigns
@brimpapery
@greentiestudio
@kingblottothethird
@tierneystudio
@winkandwonder
@mattvergotis
@stefankunz
@letteringcamp
@bysarahkim
@lissletters
@jennyhighsmith
@amandaarneill
@iamlynati
@handlettereddesign
@erin_nielson

(And that's the short list)

No comments:

Post a Comment