Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Learning to love my home

Let's be honest here, folks. This homeowner thing isn't all hearts and rainbows and fresh paint. It can be a real struggle and sometimes it can feel more like a burden than a blessing.

But when it's all said and done, I love this house. 

If I'm being really honest - I haven't always been able to say that. Not too long ago I was researching apartments. But under all of the repairs, time, money and stress, I have a home that I love and it's time to remember that. So today I'm going to tell you what I love about this home of mine.

I love the light. The light in this house is one of the main reasons that I bought it. It's a row home, but being on the end, I've got extra windows. Being in my home during daylight is one of my favorite things and even after almost 3 years, that hasn't gotten old - not even a bit.

I love that it's just the right size for me and my pup. Parties here can be tight and I don't have much seating. But when it comes down to it I only need 2 seats - one for me and one for my best pup. The kitchen can feel tight at times, but there's plenty of room for dancing.

I love that all of the walls are full. Everywhere I turn is another photo or piece of art that I love - even in the bathroom. Everywhere I turn there are photos and art that I love. Filling my home with meaningful art has been a joy.

I love the yard. It's tiny and cute and perfect for us. Outdoor movie nights are my new favorite thing and will be happening on the regular next summer.

I love the potential in this house. I'm not quite sure how to explain it, but I feel there's potential in more than just how it looks. I just feel like this house is going to be used for something greater than I can imagine. It's my motivation to be more involved in my church and community. When it's needed, I want to make sure I'm ready to say yes.

I love the lessons I've learned in this house (even though I didn't enjoy the process of learning them). I've learned to be more assertive and responsible. 

Maybe it's the time of year. Maybe it's the new Adele album on repeart. Maybe it's just time. Either way, I'm ready to start loving my home again.


  1. Your home is so beautiful. Does Charlie still love Grandma Rustad's chair?

    I especially love this picture where you shot down the tree-lined street. Great photo!

    1. Charlie loves Grandma's chair!! She sleeps in it every day. If I could fit it in my bedroom I would keep it in there. Every morning when i open my bedroom door, she gets up, slowly walks down the hallway and hops into that chair. Every morning!