Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Brightening Up the Bathroom

My bathroom is my favorite room in this little house. I know that sounds a little strange, but allow me to explain...



This room, this semi-clean, mostly-empty room is the only room in my house that is done. It needs no work. It requires no attention. And (knock on wood) nothing has broken yet. It gets some of the best light in the house. It's the most low-stress room in my house. It also happens to be where I spend the majority of my time in the morning.

BloomNation inspired me to create a post showing how I would use flowers in my home. Until they approached me, I hadn't heard of them, so I did some research. They are a flower delivery service that supports local florists through their online market place. I popped my zipcode into the box and a second later had list of arrangements available from a local florist. Very cool!



With the evenings being so long these days, I was looking for a way to brighten up my space. I read a long time ago that flowers in a room can have a positive effect on your mood. I don't know about you, but mornings tend to be the toughest time of day for me. It seems to take me a long time to wake up. So if there's any room that could use a mood-booster, it's this one.




My dear friend came over for brunch on Saturday, so I got flowers for the table. Once we were done, I decided to spread them around. I didn't have any bud vases, so I used bowls from the kitchen.



Kitchen bowls weren't exactly what I wanted, but I'm really trying to stay on top of my budget. It's easy for me to say no to hair cuts, pampering and new clothes, but I find it very difficult to say no to things for my home. I had to control the urge to get on pinterest and look up adorable little glass bud vases.

(Like this one, this one and this one.) Oops.



Owning this home has been a big challenge for me. It's been in a constant state of being worked on for the last year and a half. And not the fun stuff like painting and new kitchen cabinets. The short version - oil tank, water heater, leaky faucets, broken doors. As much as everything is fixable, it's never fixable alone. I can rarely handle it on my own, let alone fix it on my own. It's a real struggle to be independent and completely dependent at the same time.



But maybe that's what this is all about. Maybe I need to learn to let others help me. Maybe this was just what I needed to help me get better at budgeting. Maybe I'm learning patience and trust. Maybe I'll sell this house one day never fully understanding its importance in my life.



I fully believe God has a plan for this little house of mine. I know it even more when I look at these flowers he gave me that, no matter what they are in, brighten my day and my mood.




Until I can see the future, I'm going to live in the present and enjoy each day in my home. I'm going to decorate for Christmas in November and put flowers in my bathroom. Whatever makes the day brighter is a good thing.

It's amazing what a few small petals can do.

How do you use flowers in your home?

No comments:

Post a Comment