Tuesday, September 1, 2015

The Porch

In May of 2014, my house got hit by a car. Thankfully, no one was hurt. I was in my bedroom when it happened. It's amazing how fast you can put on pants when you realize something just hit your house.

It wasn't a very useful porch. Charlie is the kind of dog that would bolt at the first opportunity to pick a fight with the biggest dog on the block. Leashes are a pain, the porch was slanted and just not a fun place to be - so it didn't get much any use. Then boom - insurance money.  I took the opportunity to make some upgrades.

Now we have this glorious porch and we use it as often as we can. My family and friends came over to help me overhaul the yard. We ripped out bushes, mysterious plants and the old garden dividers that looked like headstones. 

This is a photo from the day we did the overhaul. Frank even took down a very dead and unhappy pine tree. Now my yard is no longer an embarrassment.

Last week was glorious in PA. We had a little taste of fall around here and it did not go to waste. We spent as much time as we could on the porch. Notice that the little princess has to have a rug. It didn't take me long to catch the hint that she does not like sitting on the wood.

This pup is a strange bird. If the dog peeing in my yard is smaller than her - they pass without a problem. But if the dog is even the slightest bit bigger than Charlie, she becomes Gandalf the Grey and they shall not pass.

We're working on it, though. I keep treats at the ready to distract her. I'm starting to see improvements and that makes me proud of this little wizard.

The next step is to replace that little porch light with something less jarring for night time. I'm hoping to get something with a dimmer and a fan. I like sitting out there at night, but I don't like the feeling of being in the spotlight. There's this pressure to put on a show for the neighborhood. Despite the hours of tap dancing Charlotte and I did on her bed in our Sunday shoes, nothing really stuck.

Charlie did not like that I left her on the porch to snap this photo and she made sure I knew that.

A few days ago, I was feeling very discouraged and frustrated with this home. I've started referring to this house as "my lemon". I can't seem to catch a break. Everything that has gone wrong can be fixed as most everything can, but I cannot fix any of it. The feeling of being dependent on others while being an independent, adult woman is not a fun feeling.

This porch has been a ray of hope for me. Getting to this porch was a big ordeal that took a lot of work and stress and calls to my insurance company. The result was worth the work and stress and phone time. The beautiful weather was perfectly timed and enjoying this porch is good for my soul. I'm thankful God has control.

This is the view from my seat on the porch and it's pretty spectacular.

1 comment:

  1. It's starting to look like fall at your house with all of those leaves on the ground!!