Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Handmade Cards with Watercolors

This spot in my house is one of my favorites. It's basically the only place that I actually keep clean and clutter free. It probably looks cluttered, but everything here has a purpose and gets used often. I have another work space in my craft room, but I always end up sitting at my desk.

This desk has been through a lot and it's held up really well. It's a little warped, so if you put a pencil down it will definitely roll away, but it's a great workspace. It's big and bright and white. This space always gets my creativity going.

Countless hours were spent on Pinterest this week, but zero good ideas were had. I was stumped. How did I ever keep this blog going 5 days a week? Finally, I gave up on Pinterest, went into my craft room, put on some T. Swift and started brainstorming.

ps. How good is her 1989 album? I finally gave in and bought it. I'm loving it. Don't judge me.

Inspiration finally struck - hand lettered cards using watercolors. Have you watched this short video about Jake Weidmann, Master Penman? This man is incredibly talented. Listening to him talk about penmanship had me wanting to write lots of letters.

Everything was ready to go. Supplies, check. Water, check. Online tutorial, check. Then I remembered one important detail - oh right, I can't hand letter.

But color is inspiring, so I didn't give up.

You've probably noticed a trend around here lately - cross stitch. The color and texture of cross stitch keeps me coming back for more. This week, there's a slight twist. Cue plot-twist music.

While I may not have the skill to create hand lettered art, I certainly can make a bunch of little x's. A quick pinterest search led me to a lot of great options for cross stitch letters - some detailed and some very simple.

I'm always drawn to detail, so that's where I started. It's not perfect, but I think that makes it a little sweeter. I love when you can see the hand-made touch. There's something lovely about imperfection.

I also tried smaller, less detailed designs. I used watercolor paper for these cards and cut them down to 5x7". Watercolor paper really is beautiful (even the cheap stuff that I used). The texture and weight of the paper is so nice.

The only measuring I did before painting was to find the middle of the card. I put a very small and light pencil mark where the center X should be. Then it was just a matter of following the pattern.

The envelopes were made using this card maker that I got on super sale at Michael's. I don't typically make my own envelopes, but I wanted envelopes for this post and these were free and fast.

I tried lining the edges with washi tape, but it ended up looking messy. Plus, it seemed a little too busy, but then maybe I just like plain brown envelopes.

I also made some smaller cards since I already had envelopes for those. The possibilities are endless and you don't have to be an artist to do this. You could even use a kids set of watercolors.

When I was doing my pre-project research I saw this post about letting the color cakes soak in hot water before using them. It made such a difference! The colors were richer and deeper, which made this project just that much more fun.

A few months ago, I saw a quote from Kid President that said "Be somebody who makes everybody feel like a somebody." That really struck a chord with me. I plan to send out all of the cards that I made and hopefully I'll make a few people feel like a somebody.

No comments:

Post a Comment