Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Saying Adios to Blogging

Sort of

When I started this blog, it was my entertainment.  I lived far away from my family and friends, so my evening and weekends were wide open.  This became a passion of mine and opened so many doors for me.  

But last night, I had an epiphany.


After work, I stopped by Char and Frank's house to say hello and kiss those cute kids on their cute little cheeks.  As I was walking in, Char was on the phone with Est and Mom.  Dad was driving them home from the airport after a trip to visit relatives.  They were excited to hand out souvenirs and see the kids.  And so it was decided that we would have a spontaneous family dinner.  It had been way too long since our last one and we had a great time.

While driving home, I was thinking about a blog post I could put up because it had been awhile since I last posted.  I realized that I wasn't looking forward to writing anything.  When a hobby becomes a chore, it's time to change things up.

This blog used to fill my evenings and weekends, but now my evenings and weekends are full of so many other wonderful things.  Plus, I've noticed that I put off projects because I want to be able to take pictures in good light.  Good light happens on the weekends and I'm usually pretty busy on the weekends, so projects that should be getting done are not getting done.

The last reason for dramatically slowing things down here on the blog - blog envy.  I look at other amazing bloggers and I want to be them.  I want to take photos like them or think of amazing projects that get pinned left and right.  That's not what this is about and that will never be me - this isn's my job and I'm not ready to say no to babysitting Cam and Han because I need to post something.  This isn't my career and it can't come before my family or my job. Plus, the fact that it's very easy to say no to blogging is a sign that I'm ready to move on.



Charlie and I aren't going anywhere.  We just won't be here as often.  When I do a DIY project and have the time and inclination to take photos, I'll post it here.  Don't worry Auntie Karen and Auntie Sharon, I'll still be posting family photos.  I wouldn't deprive you of seeing Cam and Han's big brown eyes. 

I'll still be around, just not as much.  I'm not going to put pressure on myself to post a few times a week when I should be painting the windows or cleaning the bathroom (worst. chore. ever.).  I want to say yes to time away from my computer as much as possible.  I want to say yes to spending more time with my camera outside of my home.  

This blog has been really fun and I've really enjoyed doing it.  Here are just a few of the many blessings that happened because of this blog - 

One: I became more adventurous.  I started going places more and doing things I normally wouldn't because I wanted/needed something to write about.

Two: I learned how to use a DSLR and can confidently shoot in full manual mode.  

Three: I had desktop wallpapers featured on SmashingMagazine.com, my puffy paint project was featured in Apartment Therapy twice and had a few mentions on several other blogs.

Four: This blog led me to my current job.  A job that brought me back home.  A job that pays the mortgage.  More than that, it's a job that I LOVE.  I work with amazing people who challenge me daily.

So yeah, things are going to slow down, but as long as Charlie is adorable, I'll have something to post about.  If you want to stay in the loop - like my page on facebook.  I always keep it updated with the latest posts.



Here's what will be filling my nights and weekends:

1. Working on my house - there's so much to do.
2. Taking lots and lots of photos and videos - of my family and friends instead of projects
3. Cuddling my sweet pup (when she lets me)
4. Getting out of the house more and working to fulfill my New Year's resolutions.
5. Pinterest
6. Design projects - I've been doing some designing for my church a lot lately and I've got some projects in the works for family and friends.

Life has been really good lately.  

2014 is going to be a good year.  I can just feel it.

3 comments: