Wednesday, January 22, 2014

A Very Special Gift

It takes me a long time to get my house back to normal after Christmas.  Over the weekend, I finally finished.  The last step was the bookcase.  I needed to add two new items - a new record player and a very special gift.



The green "suitcase" is the record player.  Charlotte's had one for about a year now and, since I keep borrowing hers, I asked for one for Christmas.  The color is perfect.  I found a few Christmas records on New Years, but I haven't gotten any others yet.  Thrift stores often sell them for $1, so I think that's a good excuse to go thrifting.



Now to my favorite part - the very special gift.  This silhouette of Zack was my dad's gift to all of us this year.  It is precious (for lack of a more mature and meaningful word).  I love it.  It's made out of steel that's been laser cut.



The silhouette was made from this picture of Zack working on a missions trip in Mexico.  He went on this same trip for several years in a row and he loved it.  This photo is so... Zack.  The hat, the stance, the work.  It's so very him.  I have it framed in my living room.  I love this photo.



Dad asked me to help him make the silhouette.  He would do all the leg work, but he needed my help with the artwork.  I put the photo into illustrator and started tracing.  After some back and forth with the company that would be cutting the steel, we had to nix some of the smaller pieces and make sure all the connections were strong since this is all one piece.  I always start with too many lines and then delete what isn't needed.



We are thrilled with how it turned out.  The circle is 10.75" in diameter.  Dad had several of these cut and painted some a deep brown and some white.  Of course, I requested white.  I knew it would stand out on my gray walls.



Emotionally, my favorite part is his face.  It's amazing how a simple silhouette can be so personal and so obviously him.



Design wise, I love how the tool belt turned out.  The laser is well, laser thin, so we were able to get some really great details.



The stands are really perfect.  Dad made them simple, yet interesting.  I love the dark stain of the wood.



I adore this silhouette.  I love this way of remembering Zack.  I just wish I had one for every room.  Maybe I'll put in a request for a few more.  At the very least, I need one on each floor.  It would also look awesome hanging on a wall.

Yes, I've decided I need a few more.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment