Thursday, December 12, 2013

My Favorite Holiday

Merry Christmas and happy holidays, folks!  Tis the season for decorating!  As this is the only holiday that I decorate for, I get very excited about it.  I have been looking forward to this for months!

Buying this white tree was the best money I have ever spent.  I am in love.  If you would have told me 3 years ago that I would have a white tree, let alone a fake tree, I would have laughed in your face.  But I am all about it.  I pondered getting a real tree, but I really didn't want to shell out the money and/or have to take care of it and/or vacuum up needles and/or trash it once the season is over.

Too much maintenance for this newly-city girl.  If it was a matter of carrying it out to the backyard and putting it in the burn pile - yes, I would have a real tree.  That's not the case this year, so I'll be sticking with a fake tree that I adore.

This white is so warm and cozy and bright.  It's mah fave.

This star pendant from ikea is perfect for my window.  I love that my living room is lit by this star, the tree and garland.  It's makes the room feel warm and cozy and perfect.  Seriously, I love Christmas.

We got hit by a mini snowstorm on Tuesday and it. was. fabulous.  Everything looks better under a blanket of snow.

I don't have any decorations on the outside of my house this year.  The main motivation for leaving it blank is a) I didn't want to pay a higher electric bill and b) I didn't want to put them up.  Too much work for this single gal.  I think when I have a husband I'll make him do it, until then, I'm fine with skipping it.

This is how Charlie spent our snow day.  She loves to stare out the window, but always has to stand.  She stood there until her legs got too tired to stand anymore (it was pretty pathetic looking), so I made this set up for her.  Then she preceded to be incredibly cute all day.  I have a million pictures to prove it.

We are supposed to get more snow this weekend.  I couldn't be more thrilled.

Ok, back to Christmas decorations.
I'm proud to say that I did not buy a single new ornament for my big tree this year.  All of the ornaments were gifts, DIYed (like these diamond ornaments) or reused.  I had brightly colors ornaments from last year's tree, so I grabbed all the pink and put them on my tree.

There are a few bow ornaments on my tree this year.  I originally made them to be used on gifts, but I liked them so much that I put them on the tree.  I used kraft paper and decorated them with washi tape and dots cut from gold silhouette vinyl.

These clay ornaments were really fun to make.  I used a recipe that I found via Pinterest and it worked wonderfully.

A little advice if you use that recipe - don't bake them so that they dry faster.  It totally did not work for me - they were brittle and cracked.  I let mine air dry for about a day (they could have used a tad more time) before painting and they really turned out nicely.

Once the DIY ornaments were on the tree, I picked my favorite ornaments from my stash to fill in the blanks.  I had too many for one tree, so I used the rest on the tree in my craft room.

Each time I look at this ornament I smile.  Aw, my baby.  She was only two when I made that ornament.

Now there are two paw ornaments on my tree.  No, I didn't get a second dog.  I had leftover clay and Charlie was in the room, so, why not?  Oddly enough, she was totally fine with me pushing her paw into the clay.   Once it dried, I painted the edge gold.

These geometric ornaments really stand out on the tree.  I was worried they would get lost in the sea of white, but (much to your relief, I know) they didn't!

Esther got me that ornament with Charlie on it in 2009 and I love it.  It was the perfect Christmas present.

The side table in the dining room also got some attention.  I bought that tree this year from the Flower and Home Marketplace.  Esther thought it was real when she first saw it, so I would say it looks pretty good.  I also suspect that there's potpourri in the bottom.  I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Many years ago, my dad and brother started a tradition of getting my mom a Dept. 56 house every Christmas.  Mom has quite the collection.  She had to whittle things down a few years ago, so she gave me one of them.  The Lodge was always Zack's favorite house.  I love having a decoration that reminds me of him.

This smaller tree normally finds a home in my bedroom.  Since I spend most of my time in the craft room, I decided to put it in there this year.  

It's lighting the room as I write this post.  It's so cozy.

Man, I love Christmas.   Speaking of Christmas, it's only two weeks away!  I have so much to do.  I hope you holiday season has been wonderful and not too busy.  It's so easy to get caught up in the to-do list.  It's hard to stop and remember the reason for the season.

"Having become human, he stayed human. It was an incredibly humbling process. He didn’t claim special privileges. Instead, he lived a selfless, obedient life and then died a selfless, obedient death—and the worst kind of death at that—a crucifixion. 
Because of that obedience, God lifted him high and honored him far beyond anyone or anything, ever, so that all created beings in heaven and on earth—even those long ago dead and buried—will bow in worship before this Jesus Christ, and call out in praise that he is the Master of all, to the glorious honor of God the Father."
Phillipians 2:8-10, (The Message)

1 comment:

  1. I love the star in your window. Hey, how about building a permanent pillow elevator for Charlie Girl? I bet she'd love that. House is beautiful.