Monday, December 2, 2013

Mini Christmas Ornaments

Power tools are so much fun.  Thanks to my dad's amazing workshop and willingness to teach me, I've been using power tools lately.  I can't imagine my life without them.

Ok, I'm being a little over dramatic, but they are really fun.

I recently finished a really fun project that required wood, a circular saw, drill press and braided rope (which I'll be posting about tomorrow).  I had some wood left over, so I used my dad's circular saw to cut it into very thin stripes.

Using my drill, I put a small hole in the top of each piece and started painting.  I used masking tape to make the stripes.  Poplar isn't totally smooth, so some of the paint snuck underneath the tape, but that's not a big deal.

These are the three colors I used for my ornaments:  Americana bleached sand, Apple Barrel neon pink and Martha Stewart metallic gold.  I've used a few metallic gold acrylic paints, but Martha Stewart's is by far my favorite.  It covers more with one coat than my previous paint did with 3.   All of these paints were purchased at Joann Fabrics or Michaels.

The ornaments are tiny.  I used a 1" x 2" piece to cut the stripes (you can buy a 2 foot piece from Lowe's for around $2).

They are super tiny, so I can't decide if they belong on the big tree to fill in gaps or if I should use them on my mini tree.  Guess we'll just have to wait and see!

There are still some more pieces of wood laying around, so I definitely plan on making more.  You can never have too many ornaments!

No comments:

Post a Comment