Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Christmas Card Holder DIY

This project was so much fun.  I learned so many new things and got to use some sweet power tools.  Tomorrow I will tell you how I made this, but for today let me tell you what it is.

The inspiration for this project came from one my many tv shows - Burn Notice.

Recently, I was working my way back through the seasons on Netflix.  I came to this episode and immediately fell in love with these, well, paper holders?  I'm not sure exactly what they would be called, but I loved them.

So I decided to make my own.  For the Christmas season, this little guy will be hanging in the living room.  Once the season is over, I plan to move it into my craft room.

Instructions are in tomorrow's post! 

There are a few ways you can hang the cards - you can weave them through the ropes, use little clothespins or drape them over the ropes.  I'm all about options.

My favorite part of this is the stitching on the side.  I love this little detail.  I just love it.

Please disregard the crooked holes - I'll explain them tomorrow.

The combination of ending up with something I love and having so much fun doing it made this project one of my favorites.  Also, it only cost $4.  Because my dad was super generous and gave me the wood, tools and screws, I only had to pay for the rope.  Thanks, Dad!

In case you are wondering how much it will cost you...

 I am making one of these for a friend of mine.  It's going to be 18x24".  I bought two pieces of 1x2 poplar that are 24" long and one piece of 1x2" poplar that is four feet long - total cost: $7.  I paid $4 for the braided mason line.  So, depending on the size you make, this project will cost you around $11.

The small piece of wood that I had left over was used to make these mini ornaments.  So basically, I got a lot for the money.


No comments:

Post a Comment