Thursday, November 7, 2013

Our Dinner Party

These are my girls.  We've been friends since middle school soccer, but we're grown-ups now.  Between us we've got 3 husbands, 1 fiance, 4 pets, 2 kids, 3 houses and 5 careers.  Normally our girls nights include nachos, brownies, wine, talking over reality tv and playing games.  I wanted to change things up a little, so I suggested we have a dinner party.  

Told you we're grown-ups, because dinner parties are for grown-ups.  And this time, we decided to let the guys join us.

Aside from being super excited to have my best friends and their men over for dinner, I was very excited to decorate and set the table.

Real Simple magazine had an article about how to throw a dinner party.  It had great tips and tricks to make everything go smoothly.  One of the tips they gave was to have place cards.  I wondered if it was overly formal to do that, but the magazine said it makes people feel at ease because they know where to sit.

I did this in two ways.  First, I put their names on the favors.  Second, I put their names on the cups.  I used my silhouette cameo to cut the letters out of gold vinyl using this font.  It worked wonderfully!  Everyone knew where their seat was and we always knew which cup belonged to which person.

Bonus - I didn't have to spend any money for that little project.  I already had everything on hand.  Love those kinds of projects!

The bouquet is from a local florist.  It came in a glass vase, but I moved it to my gold one.  It's a Target vase that I bought at Goodwill.  When Target stuff is at Goodwill it's usually because there's something wrong with it, but I can't figure out what's wrong with this vase.  Looks good to me!

While I focused on taking photos...

Charlie focused on sleeping.

One of my favorite things from the table setting was the placemats.  I love the look of the napkins hanging over the edge of the table (seen here and here).  I didn't have anything to use, so I called the best person for the job - my mom.  She whipped out 8 placemats in one night using this fabric.  Yup, she rocks.  In case you are wondering, they are 7"x20".

We can't figure out what color the pattern is.  Is it blue or is it black?  Either way, it worked really well with the pink (washi tape & flowers) and the gold (vase & vinyl).

The dinner party was an absolute blast.  We had hors d'oeuvres, dinner and dessert, played Pit, had great conversation and a lot of laughs.  It was a very fun night.

No comments:

Post a Comment