Thursday, October 3, 2013

My Closet - The Final Frontier

This is the layout of the second floor of my house.  Do you see "Bedroom #3"?  Well, it has a closet, so the house was listed as a three bedroom.  I'm 5'4" and I dont even think I could laydown in that room.  My sister has this same layout and she turned that space into her closet.  

That was my original plan, but with renovations happening at the same time as moving in, this quickly became my storage closet.  It's where my Dad stored his tools and where I stored cleaning supplies, random junk and trash.  

This is what it currently looks like.  You can't even take more than one step into the room. 

I climed over everything to take a picture of the closet's closet and Charlie was very distressed that she could not get to me.  She doesn't like messy rooms.

This is a pretty terrible picture, but this is what the room looked like when I moved in.  It's hard to see in this photo, but there was wallpaper covering every wall.

But not just any wallpaper, it was textured wallpaper.  It took forever to get off.  Seriously.  So long.  This was the last room I worked on before moving in.  By the time the wallpaper came down, I was exhausted and didn't want to ever pick up another paint brush.

So, I didn't.  I left this room to thrive in all it's craziness.  I closed the door and I walked away never to return (unless I needed more toilet paper).  Deep down inside I hoped that magic really did exist and my fairy godmother would transform this room with the help of little mice.  

Alas, it was not so.  Every time I open this door I'm forced to deal with this mess.  The biggest thing that's kept me from working on it is knowing things will get worse before they get better.

To even start on this room, I have to empty out everything.  And where will it go?  Into my clean, cozy and comfy craft room.  Say it ain't so.  Why do things have to get messy to get clean?  Thankfully, it's just a weekend project.  Now I just need to find a weekend to do it.  

Here's the plan - 

I'm going to make this room into a storage closet.  I'm going to keep cleaning supplies, my tool box, suitcases, air mattress and random junk in here.  I bought this shelf at Ikea to help me get everything organized.  I also plan to keep bigger items from my craft room in here.  

It's not going to be the most beautiful room in the house, but it will suit my needs perfectly.  Plus, aside from a closet, what do you even do with a room this small?  And before you say "reading nook", let me just say that I don't read books.  I listen to plenty of books, but I don't read books.  They take too much time and you can't do anything else while you are reading.  I know that sounds awful, but it's true.  

Anyway, this weekend is not reno weekend for the closet because this weekend is Applesauce Day.  We are all VERY excited about Applesauce Day.  You can read about our past adventures here - 2012, 2011 and 2010.  

1 comment:

  1. I love stories with happy endings...I would do exactly the same with this room as you're going to do! And happy Applesauce Day. Looking forward to pictures of that event!