Monday, October 21, 2013

Home Sweet Home

Have you ever had projects that just sit around waiting to be finished?  Of course, right?  We all do.  Last Sunday was the day I finally had the motivation to finish a few of my unfinished projects. 

It's pretty ridiculous that they haven't been finished early.  The materials have literally been sitting 5 feet from their final destination for weeks.   



Many moons ago, I spotted this hello over at Radical Possibility.  I loved it immediately and promised myself I would do this at my future home.   



So here's my version.  A few days after purchasing my home, I bought letters to spell out Home Sweet Home at Joann Fabrics (they are not at Michael's or AC Moore, at least not around here).  I painted them the same color as the wall and stuck them up using 3M strips.



This project is in my top 5.  I love that it's subtle, but makes a statement.  And since there is a lot of empty wall space in the living room, it's nice to have something that takes up a lot of space.




The letters are hung next to a textured wrapping paper that I framed.  The letters didn't seem to be enough on their own, which is why I hung them with a frame.  Thee two to fill the space nicely.

Update:  I've been getting a few questions about where I got the corner shelf.  It was a hand-me-down of sorts.  It belonged to a friend, then it belonged to Esther and then Esther gave it to me.  I repainted it a few years ago - you can see that post here.  Sorry, I have no idea where it's from. 



Randomly, my favorite view of this little project is from the top of the stairs.  It's so much more interesting than frames.




Charlie was unimpressed.  When I am taking photos, she normally watches me the whole time, but not today.  I think there must have been a dog outside.  She in fascinated by other dogs.  I always find her fascination with other dogs very strange considering that she doesn't like dogs.  She stands at the window like this until her legs get tired.



If I remember correctly, each letter costs $2.  Considering the size and impact in the room, this is a VERY cheap project, especially since I used leftover paint.

I'm already trying to figure out another place to do this in my house!  I'm also thinking of adding washi tape to the sides of the letters to change things up.  There's so many different things you can do with these letters.  I just love them!

18 comments:

  1. Love that! And that punch of yellow in the corner is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! So simple and subtle but it makes a big statement! I would love to share this on my blog if you don't mind? It's such a great idea that would be easy for anyone can do!

    Elizabeth @ Real Inspired

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure Elizabeth! Please link them directly to this post! thanks!

      Delete
  3. Hi! What is the wall color? It looks fantastic with the white trim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate, I don't have the info with me, but i can look for it when i get home. Paint colors don't usually photograph exactly how they look in real life - but this one is spot on. It's a warm gray and I absolutely love it! I'll find you the info asap! -Virginia

      Delete
    2. Hi Kate - finally found the color! It's Silver Spoon by Olympic (D31-2). Sorry that took so long :) -Virginia

      Delete
  4. I love the cute corner shelving piece. Where did you get it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie! I actually got that from a friend several years ago and repainted it. Sorry, I have no idea where it came from :( I hope you have a wonderful weekend! -Virginia

      Delete
  5. Great taste!! Love your sense of design. We have been looking for a corner shelving unit and having a tough time finding exactly what we're looking for- then I saw yours!! Where did you get it???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jackie, I'm glad you like it! The corner shelf was a hand-me down that I repainted (you can see that here - http://virginiaandcharlie.blogspot.com/2011/10/corner-shelf-finally.html). Sorry, I don't have any info on where it came from. Have a great week! -Virginia

      Delete
    2. Well it looks awesome- thanks for sharing the post :) I just need to find one now and do the same!!

      Delete
  6. What size of letters did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim - I used these 8" paper mache letters. I hadn't even realized there were two sizes :) Here you go - http://www.joann.com/darice-8in-paper-mache-letters-1pk/xprd233338.html#q=paper+mache&start=3

      Have a great day! -Virginia

      Delete
  7. I am also wondering what size letters you used.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristin - I used these 8" paper mache letters. Here's a link - http://www.joann.com/darice-8in-paper-mache-letters-1pk/xprd233338.html#q=paper+mache&start=3

      Have a great day! -Virginia

      Delete
  8. Hi! :) Just came across this on pinterest and I LOVE it! Just ordered my letters!
    May be a dumb question but how did you paint the letters. Did you do the front and sides, then the back when the front was fully dried?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello! Was that pretty white vent cover original to the house or did you buy it somewhere? Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Yes, the vent cover is original to the home :) Thanks for stopping by! - Virginia

      Delete