Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Mom's Birthday - in Video

Yesterday, I showed you my favorite photos from Mom's birthday celebration.  Today, I'm going to show you that same celebration in a different way.

My camera has a video function that I barely ever use.  A few months after getting this camera, I bought the video memory card (my Canon T3i requires a special memory card for video) but rarely used the video function.  More and more, my job has required me to be familiar with, shoot and edit video footage.  The best way to learn is by doing, so I'm trying to practice my skills outside of work.

Here's Mom's birthday celebration in video - 

My favorite parts:

00:20 - Hannah checking the sturdiness of the table
00:37 - Hannah bumping her head...twice
01:05 - Cam putting on "da brakes"
01:22 - Cam making funny faces at the tv while Hannah shakes the camera
02:04 - A hug

This experience taught me a few things about taking video:
1. Using manual focus is better for taking videos, but it's definitely not easy.  I kept forgetting which way to turn the dial - which is why the focus often gets worse before it gets better.
2. It would be nice to have more footage of the in between moments - the cake, the setting, etc.
3. I definitely need to focus on the adults, too.  This video was like an episode of Peanuts.  The adults we basically just arms and legs.
4. I don't need worry about what's being said.  It won't be heard anyway (since I planned on putting music over the footage), so catching normal conversation won't ruin a video.

After I took the video of Hannah bumping her head (when I was on kid duty), this convo happened:

Me (laughing): "Hannah just hit her head on the island AND the high chair."
Char: "And how are you helping?"
Me: "I got it on video."

This little video was so much fun to shoot and edit!  I definitely plan on using this video feature more often!


  1. ahhh - that's so good!!!

  2. There are too many things I love about this to point them out individually! Love, Love, Love! Wish I were part of your awesome family!!

    Oh - and you totally need to teach me how to use that video function on the camera (we have the same one). :-) I'll pay for private lessons.

    Christy D.

  3. I've often wondered why you haven't used that feature more! Loved it! Can't wait to see more :)