Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Living Room Update

My new favorite room.  I want to be in here all day, every day.   The reason for this?  The carpet.  It has made all the difference.

This boring, beige carpet (that I am totally in love with) is from Ikea.  Strangely, I can't find it on their website.  Though it wasn't the color I had hoped for, the price was right.

Side note - I really need to start moving Charlie's pillow pet for these photo sessions.

Getting used to all wood floors has not been easy.  I always walk around barefoot and my feet hurt at the end of every day.  My friend, Kristin, also has wood floors throughout her adorable/cute/stylish home that she shares with her husband and two cute kitties (Seriously, check out her blog. She's awesome).  She said their feet would hurt in the evenings too, but eventually that stopped.

This light and bright neutral rug makes my living room feel warm and cozy (not too mention giving my feet some sweet relief).  I never want to leave.

Charlie LOVES having a rug.  She plays on it, eats her bones on it and (so far) hasn't peed on it once.

Update: I wrote this post on Sunday.  On Tuesday, Charlie peed, pooped and threw-up on this carpet.  TMI?  Probably.  You're welcome.

Does anyone else have a problem with their dogs marking their territory?  Anytime I bring in something new, I just wait for the moment she'll decide to make it her own.

Umm, for all of the people that visit and relax on my couches - Charlie has never marked that territory.  Ok, moving on...

This little spot in my home is my favorite (I know, it's totally random).  I love the combination of the wood stairs, white trim, white banister, wood floor and gray walls (let's pretend the blue tape isn't there).  I'm trying to think of something amazing to do in that little space, but I don't have any good ideas yet.

Charlie's new dog bed adds some nice contrast to the living room.  The girls were over the other day and asked "Does Charlie ever sleep on it?"  Well, that's a good question.  She'll sleep on it...if the couch, chair, ottoman and rug are taken.  So basically, she almost never sleeps on it.

Two wonderful books have found a home on my ottoman - The Little Book of Lettering and Mastering the Art of Embroidery.  I've gone through The Little Book of Lettering about 4 times.  Katie and Kristin gave it to me for my birthday and I'm loving it.  It features the typography of many amazing artists (which is wonderful for inspiration) and it has blurbs from the artists about their process - some start on the computer, others start with a pencil and paper.  I love reading about each process.

Mastering the Art of Embroidery is a very interesting book.  Most of the techniques are way beyond my skill level, but I love seeing how embroidery has been made modern and relevant.  It's pretty incredible stuff.  It has inspired me to start practicing!

Oh this pup of mine.  Always with the watching.  This is her favorite spot in the house.  She stands there until her little legs get tired.  I'm working on teaching her to sit on top of the cushion, but she hasn't quite figured it out yet.

With such beautiful sunlight flooding this room, it's no wonder this is our favorite spot, am I right?

Next steps:
- finally get light switch covers
- put up art and photos
- clean up the mess of wires under the tv

short-term goals:
- get wall-to-wall carpet
- mount new, smaller TV on the wall
- add a seat for charlie by the window
- paint doors


  1. I love seeing Charlie's pillow pet in the pictures! Keep it in :)

    1. Haha good to know Claire! Thanks :)

  2. That's a really plush looking carpet. IKEA comes through again! Great addition to your front room!

  3. hello,
    where did you get your couch/ottoman/chair from?

  4. Hi there! I bought them at Raymore and Flanigan about 8 years ago. Now sure if they are still available :)