Monday, August 26, 2013

Her Bad Habit

Charlie is starting to develop a very strong (and bad) habit of sleeping in.  Is it wrong that I'm jealous of my dog?  We can talk about my issues later.  Instead, let's talk about how we got to this new habit.

I pump the AC every night because I love a cold room. Charlie does not, so she squirrels under the covers and stays there almost all night.  I absolutely love it.  She's so cozy.

Somewhere in the middle of the night, she gets hot and leaves the comfort of the covers for her own bed.  About an hour before I get up, she jumps back onto my bed and snuggles up against me - translation: she's cold again.  I grab the edge of the covers and fold it over her...

And that is where she stays until I make her get out of bed.







This wouldn't be so bad, except that she never gets up!  I've starting using a trick that most moms know - startling the baby into waking up by taking off their blankets so they get a little cold.  That's what I have to do with Charlie.  I take the blankets off her so she wakes up.



It doesn't always work.  There have been a few times that I've had to bribe her out of bed with the promise of a treat.



Because of her sleeping in - I've had to clean up after her twice in two weeks.  She takes forever to come downstairs and then putzes around outside.  I need to get to work, so I bring her in because she's just standing outside sniffing the air.  Am I living with a teenager? Normally, if she skips her morning constitutional, she can at least wait to go until I get home, but not lately.



My little teenager has forced me into purchasing a doggie door.  This isn't my favorite thing, but it will be very nice to let her go in and out as she pleases.  When the weather is nice, I've been leaving the backdoor cracked for her.  I recently taught her how to push it open when she wants to come in, but then the door is left open.  It lets the bugs in and it's certainly not something I can do during the winter.

My mom has been telling me to do this ever since I bought the house.  I didn't love the idea of putting a hole in my door or making that backdoor any less safe, so I put it off.  In the end, Mom is right again.

I felt awful buying this because it's just one more thing to add to my dad's to-do list.  When I was buying it, I had a fleeting thought that maybe I could do it myself.  Then I read the directions on the back.  No, I will not be doing this myself.  Not unless I want to be buying a new door.

Pretty sure I owe my dad the most amazing Christmas present ever.  That shouldn't be too hard since he's so easy to buy for.  #false.  He's so hard to buy for, but I'll think of something!  I owe him big.

Dear Dad,

Thank you in advance.  You're the best.

Love,
Ginner, Charlie and the carpet

4 comments:

  1. I predict you'll love having a doggie door...and nice for Charlie to be able to go and come when she wants. She's really moved up in the world because she no longer has to "go" when on a leash and now she can open and close her own door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right Auntie Karen. I'm going to love it and Charlie is most certainly going to love it :) She's living the dream!

      Delete
  2. I can't stand the cuteness of Charlie's little feet peeking out from under the blankets! :-) She truly is adorable, so I know you'll forgive her. The doggie door will be nice for her, and even moreso for you since you won't have to clean up her messes anymore. Love the way the house is coming along for you - it's going to be gorgeous once you're all finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris! Thanks so much, I think she's pretty cute, too. :) I'm looking forward to having a doggie door! And thanks for the sweet compliment on the house. It's really coming along. Thanks for reading my blog and leaving a sweet comment! -Virginia

      Delete