Tuesday, June 11, 2013

My First Night at Home

Despite what that title leads you to believe, I have not officially moved in yet.  I did, however, spend one night in my new home, in my own bed, with my own pup.

My mom had a brilliant idea and it goes like this -

The electrician finished all his project on Friday (insert gigantic, i'm-actually-not-broke sigh) and it was time to get serious about unpacking.  Mom's big and amazing idea was for me and the pooch to have a night in our new home.  It was amazing.  Best idea ever.  I slept in my own bed and even got to sleep in (I had to make Charlie get up at 10:30)!  Though, I did miss waking up to Cam running around upstairs (the one and only perk of living in a basement).

Move in is right around the corner.  Once the shower tile is ready, I can start bathing at my house.  That's been the only obstacle.  First, I couldn't live there without a toilet and now it's the shower.  I love my home, but living there is not worth driving to my parents house every night or staying late to shower at work.  I don't want to jinx it, but I think I'll be moving in this weekend.  I won't be able to shower, but I will be able to take baths.  And, no lie, I really love baths, so I'm totally fine with that.

The kitchen still has some pretty big renovations coming up, so we started unpacking in the craft room.  I'm pretty terrible at unpacking, but Charlie is even worse.  She follows us everywhere and has no idea where to rest her rump.  Mom stuck her bed on a desk by the window and then stuck Charlie in the bed.

Chalk that one up as another brilliant idea of Mom's.  Charlie LOVED it.

She took a nap, barked at the neighbors and was an excellent watch dog.  Plus, we weren't stepping on her or bumping into her.

The craft room is huge. HUGE, I tell you!  I can't believe how much space I have in the room.  There's not as much storage space as I would like, but there is tons of work space.  Plus, even getting to say "craft room" is pretty darn wonderful.

There's still a lot to do in here.  It's not nearly where I want it to be and there's still a lot of things that haven't found a home yet.  The long low shelf is from Ikea and I would like to add casters to it someday.  I'm not loving the layout of the room yet, so that will probably change.

It's hard to see, but the stool to the left of the chair is from Target and iloveit.  I've been eyeballin' that sucker for weeks.  I kept passing it up because I just did not want to spend $50 for it.  I saw it on clearance at Target and was in the middle of telling my mom how Target's clearance is usually pretty sucky (sometimes the sale price is barely different from the original) when I saw that this baby was knocked down to $35.  I almost passed it up in hopes that it would go down again, but I just couldn't walk away without it.

The chair you see on the far right is a chair from my Great-Grandma Rustad, who was straight off the boat from Norway (no, the chair is not from Norway).  It's an old, comfy, amazing chair.  My mom doesn't find it comfy, but Charlie and I love it for several reasons.

1. I'm a shorty and my legs actually touch the ground.
2. The back is at a perfect angle for a little reclining and relaxing
3. It's wide and I can sit comfortably with my feet tucked up
4. Charlie can sleep comfortably with her chin on the armrest.

My mom generously offered it to me and I gladly accepted.  I know it's not very pretty, but someday I'd like to get it reupholstered.  It has some really nice details that get lost in the crazy old fabric.  Plus, it's from my Great-Grandma and how cool is that?

Mom gave me one job on Saturday - move into my desk.  This was not easy.  So many drawers and so much crap! I like moving because I get to purge and reorganize - but those are also the reasons I hate moving.  While I was slowly moving in, due to texting distractions from my sisters, my mom whipped the rest of that room into shape.  Every time I turned around more boxes were gone and more things were put away.

A positive part of unpacking is ending up with tons of empty containers, but this can also be a negative.  One of my concerns with this move is that I'm going to fill them with random things, stick them in the basement and completely forget about them.  I really want to make sure nothing is stored just because I'm feeling lazy.

I'm also thrilled to find new places for my favorite photos and pieces of art.  Some will be thrown out or given away, but most will stay with me.  Seems like my taste has changed quite a bit since I last saw some of these things, so it won't all stick around.

The living room was attacked on Friday night and we really got a lot done.  All the furniture is in place and the set up worked really nicely for watching TV and relaxing that first night.  The rug you see here will be moved into my bedroom once I have carpet in the living room.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm not loving these wood floors.  I know, I know, it's "crazy" to say that.  Everyone loves wood floors, right?  Well, I don't.  I'd carpet this whole house if I could afford it or it was the smart thing to do for resale.  There are random holes all in the floors!  Don't drop an earring in this place! You may never get it back!


  1. Moms are the best. And your craft room is awesome! Your house is looking like a home :)

  2. Before I even read the captions, I spotted Great-Grandma Rustad's chair. I'm so glad you can use it. You know she loved the fabric on it...then your Grandma Mayo took it and talked about reupholstering it, then your mom got it next and there was some talk about recovering it, and now you have it! So we'll see if you can break the cycle and actually get it reupholstered. But the main thing is it's comfortable for you and Charlie so it's found another good home! And your mom came out to Idaho and helped me unpack since I had just had back surgery. She is a wonderful unpacker...and wonderful in many other ways too.

  3. i love reading your blog..i always want that my window would be like this..where i could look for a window like this?.cause my window in my dining room needs to be replaced.