Friday, June 14, 2013

My Cube

Several days ago, I told you about how much I love my job.  It's been wonderful working with such amazing people.  Just yesterday, we filled my boss' office to the brim with balloons.  Her birthday was last weekend and we totally missed it - but I think we made up for it.

My job is amazing in so many ways: the people, the work, the environment, the work.  Don't worry, I know how blessed I am - I know it isn't normal to love your job - and I am so grateful that I do.



This is the only thing I don't love about my job: my bland cubicle.  In fact, I love working at this desk, but I just don't like how it looks.  I guess that means I wasn't meant to be a gym teacher forever since I really do love sitting at this desk.  Chalk that up to fun projects and fun neighbors and an amazing job.  

So here's my dilemma - how do I make this cube feel comfy and cozy?  Here's a bigger dilemma - how do I do it without spending a ton of money.

I've been thinking about doing this for months, but I have absolutely no good ideas.  All of my ideas involve spending lots of money on nice office supplies - there has to be a way to DIY this.  There just has to be. 



So far, this layout has been perfect.  I don't plan to rearrange anything, just upgrade a little. Here's what's happening inside the cube -

Computer #1: the laptop.  Used for photo shoots, off-site work, and all day-to-day assignments. I use two screens here: the laptop screen and a large screen I connect to every morning.
Computer #2: the graphics computer.  Used only for creating, editing and rendering videos.  This work requires a super-fast, super-powerful and super-incredible computer. (If you've never had two screens for you computer, you must try it, it is amazing.)
Post-its: They are everywhere and they are absolutely necessary.  If I'm given a quick assignment and it's not on a post-it, chances are very high that I will forget it.  I go through a lot of post-its. 
The rest: office supply basics. Pens, pencils, phone, a place for snacks/drinks, my calendar, paper storage, other boring stuff.


Ok, so 
I've tried to add some color to my space, but it's not a big enough impact. A few small posters and pictures aren't cutting it.

In this corner I'd like to:
— add a lot of color
— add illustrated art for inspiration
— find a better place for my post-its
— figure out how to hide all of those ugly cords



It's pretty much the same thing over here. Clean up the cords, organize the post-its, find a nicer way to store papers, find a way to make it all less boring.



My sister said she used her upper storage area as a sort of display shelf.  That is a great idea.  That means I need to find a better place for these papers and books.



The temperature in the office can vary from time to time (or more likely my body temp is varying), so I keep a sweater on hand.  It would be nice to add a hook for my sweater (and coat during the winter).  Also, that plant is not mine (no plants for me, please).  I'm babysitting that plant while my coworker is on vacation.  She gets to see visit a very famous mouse and all I get is a plant.  I'm just praying I don't kill it before she gets back (she's had it for almost a decade).



The art you see in the corner was given to me by my favorite nephew.  I keep markers and crayons in my drawer for when he's here for a visit.  That small wall would be a good place for coat, purse and key hooks.



Ok, in my defense, I don't normally have large amounts of trash in my cube.  I guess I could have cleared them off before taking these photos, but it didn't seem worth it at the time.  Ya know what I'd love to have here?  I nice, comfy, upholstered chair for my guests coworkers.  This is where people sit when we are reviewing videos or talking over projects.  This sad, little chair gets a lot of use.  It would be great to spruce it up.  And by "spruce it up" I mean, replace that sucka.



The space under the graphics computer has become my storage area.  It's where I keep my Christmas decorations.  During Christmas, my cube feels comfy and cozy everyday.  Now I just need to figure out how to make it comfy and cozy even when it's not Christmas!



If you have any ideas on how to spice things up, please share! Have you faced this dilemma as well?  I'll be scouring Pinterest for ideas and I'll let you know if I find anything!

ps. TGIF! Am I right?

3 comments:

  1. Your blog is awesome!

    Could you add some colorful fabric to the bulletin board area(s)? That would cover the gray that makes it look so ordinary, and you could still pin things to the bulletin boards.

    Good luck!

    ~Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie! That is a great idea!!! It would add some fun color and texture to my space. Thanks for the idea! -Virginia

      Delete
  2. In October I will be moving to an open workspace. I am thinking about getting vinyl decorations to put on the walls, cabinet doors, and dividers. Something to add a bit of color but not overwhelming. Something like this, but not in black. Or a branch design. http://www.etsy.com/listing/83098528/bogo-sale-6-petal-flower-macbook-vinyl?ref=cat_gallery_20

    ReplyDelete