Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Mowing the Lawn

First of all, sorry there's no desktop wallpaper today.  I just haven't had time.  Anyway...


This was what my lawn looked like a few days ago.  It was desperately in need of some attention.  My dad and I went over on Sunday to mow.  He had to come with me so we could get the mower out of the van (that sucker is heavy), but I had ulterior motives.  I knew I was going to need some help.

You might be wondering why mowing the lawn is getting it's own post.  Allow me to answer that question: in short - it sucked.  Here's why:

1. I don't know the right route.  When I mow my parent's yard, I have a route I take that gets me great results quickly.  Not knowing the right route for my yard made things more difficult and it took longer than it should have.

2. A push mower. I've been spoiled for years. My parents have a very large backyard and I've only ever mowed it with a riding mower.  I love mowing their yard.  I put on my headphones and relax for an hour.  Not so much with a push mower.  It was heavy and hard to get up the steep slope of my side yard.  My dad showed me a technique that worked really well, but it will take some practice.

3. It. Was. Bumpy.  I got the mower stuck several times - one of those times I was completely unable to get it unstuck without Dad's help.

4. It was so public.  Having so many neighbors so close is something I'll have to get used to.  I get frustrated really easily and the fact that I felt like I was making a fool of myself in front of the whole neighborhood didn't help. Once I know my yard and it's bumps better, I'm confident I won't feel so dumb.

5. I'm not strong enough.  As a hockey player, I was always very strong.  When you swing a hockey stick as hard as you can for three hours everyday, you have to be strong.  I'm not a hockey player anymore and pushing the mower up the steep slope was tough, but strength will come.

So here's what I learned for purchasing my own mower:

1. I need a lighter mower.  Enough said.

2. I need a mulching mower.  The mower I borrowed was blowing the cut grass onto my sidewalk and the road - adding an extra clean-up step to the process.  A mulching mower pushes the cut grass straight back into the ground so it doesn't blow all around.

3. I need a weed whacker.  There were many places that I couldn't trim because the mower couldn't reach them or wasn't the right tool for the job.  I bought this weed whacker and leaf blower combo.  It's cordless and comes with two batteries.  Best of all - it's light.  I can easily lift it.  I've never used a weed whacker before, so I don't think I'll be attempting any weed whacking until I get a few lessons.

4. I need a small mower.  The smaller the better, even if it takes me more time to mow.  If the mower is small, I'll be able to control it better.

5. Push button start. This would be amazing, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

The most important thing I learned from this experience - not everything about owning a home will be fun.  As much as I know I won't love push mowing my lawn in the 100 degree July weather, I'll be proud to do it.  Like my mom says, ownership changes a lot.  It's my home and I want to be proud of it.

Please remind me I said this in July.  I'm pretty sure when I'm sweating my butt off, I'll forget all about this little post and my promise to be proud.

1 comment:

  1. It looks like your lawn indeed needs attention because it's starting to get dry. Your lawn isn't that big too, so using a smaller mower is better. I'll give a tip if it's alright. If the grass begins to dry off, try to dig the soil to break the compressed part. After doing that, grass growth will greatly improve.

    ReplyDelete