Wednesday, May 15, 2013

It's a Reel Mower!

Nope, that's not a typo.  I bought a reel mower.  A reel mower is a manual mower that requires no gas,  no pulling to start, no getting blades stuck on roots.  

In my defense, I had no idea my dad was taking this photo.
I was really hesitant about getting this mower, but the pros definitely outweighed the cons.

Pros:
– At least $80 cheaper than the cheapest power mower
– requires no gas
– don't have to put a cord to start it
– weighs less than 30 lbs
– small, saves storage space
– it's easy to handle

Cons:
– can't let the grass get too tall
– no extra power to help me push it up hills
– might take me longer to mow
– will need to keep the blades sharpened



Again, in my defense, I didn't know he was taking photos.  I thought it was a video, so I was talking and not smiling. Anyway, this sucker busted through the tall grass without a problem.




While we waited for the electrician to show up, we decided to put together this mower (I don't usually mow the lawn in Toms and jeans).  It's a Remington 16" Reel Mower.  It took all of five minutes to get it put together and 5 seconds to start using it.



So far, I've only used it on a flat surface.  I'm really interested to see how it performs on my little hills.   First impressions - Dad and I were both very impressed.  It left behind a few tall stragglers, but I'll take that any day over having to deal with a large, heavy, gas powered mower.



The biggest drawback is the sound this mower makes.  It's pretty awful.  But, it's not any louder than a regular mower, it's just such a different sound.  It'll take some getting used to.  So far, I'm loving this mower!

The good news is that if I ever let me my lawn get too tall, Esther's powered mower is right around the corner.

1 comment:

  1. My grandma used to have this kind of mower with a few less helpful gears! Good exercise and looks like it's amazingly easy to push.

    ReplyDelete