Friday, May 3, 2013

Happy Birthday Charlie


Written June 26, 2008:
Its 1:09 am. I'm getting my puppy today. Not in 2 weeks, not in 2 days, not tomorrow. Today. Mom and I will promptly be leaving the house at 8:30 am to drive to Quakertown to pick up Charlie. Then I have four blissful days ahead that will belong to Charlie and me...and anyone else that might drop by. Then work again on Monday, boo. Then I will have Charlie for the next 15 years. This is most definitely the biggest commitment I have ever made.

Today feels like Christmas - I've never had so much motivation to go to sleep, the sooner I go to sleep, the faster "today" will come. Amen to that.

I'll post pictures as soon as I get some. But I'm pretty sure I won't be posting any until she falls asleep...haha I'll be busy until then...you know, bonding and all. I have a feeling she might be a spoiled pup for the next few days. And I see absolutely nothing wrong with that.
I can still remember the excitement of going to pick up Charlie.  I still remember feeling giddy and not being able to sleep.  I remember the long drive. I remember picking her up. I remember squealing with Mom in the car on the way home.  I remember having to remind Mom to watch the road (many times).   I remember the first time she peed that day. I remember taking her to the office to show her to Esther and Dad. I remember her sleeping on my shoulders.

This is what it must feel like for moms. If I'm this emotional over a dog, I can't even imagine what I'll be like with my kids.



Charlie is 5.  I don't know why, but this feels like a big birthday.  At 5, she's officially not a puppy anymore (I guess that's been true a long time before this).  Now, she just seems older, more mature, but I'll still be calling her my puppy.



With all the work I've been doing at my house, I don't see Charlie as often as I used to.  That's one big reason I'm excited to finally move in - more time with my baby.



 
Ya know how there are just some things in your life where you can't take them for granted?  You are just constantly reminded about how lucky you are?  



 I feel so blessed to have Charlie - to have a such a good dog.  I'm reminded of this blessing every time I wake up and feel a lump between my feet.  I'm reminded of this blessing every time I come home and she freaks out when she sees me.



She's amazing.  You've heard me brag about her time and time again, so I'll try not to over do it this time.  I just love this dog. 

I love having someone to cuddle with at night.  She and I have an agreement. She cuddles with me for at least 15 minutes and then, when she's ready to go, I don't make her stay.  haha.  Unless it's really cold and then she'll stay under the covers with me ALL night.  It's rare, but it's happened before and I keep hoping it'll happen again.


No comments:

Post a Comment