Monday, May 27, 2013

A Special Visitor & House Updates

Last Thursday, we surprised Char with the best gift - Esther.  We'd known for about a month that Esther would be coming for a visit, but we decided to surprise Char and Cam.  We got them good. Char had no idea.

The fact that our family could keep this secret is pretty impressive.  I'm the worst, if you even ask me about an exciting secret, the look on my face completely gives everything away.



It's been wonderful having Esther home.  This is truly a full house now.  It's actually been really nice to have everyone in one house, no one has to leave to go home and miss family time.



The weather on Saturday was very fall-like.  The wind was crisp and cool and I loved it.  It was so cold that we made sure Cam was wearing a beanie - since all of his are packed, he borrowed one from his very generous grandpa.



Esther and Cam helped Dad do a little weeding on Saturday morning.  It was perfect weather for it.




Charlie was even enjoying it. She didn't want to come inside!  But who would, the weather was just perfect.



The wind on friday night was just right for kite flying.  We love those shorts Cam is wearing - he has no knees and it's just adorable!



The electrician was at my house last week to do a few updates.  He has a long list of things to fix in my house and first on the list was the bathroom.  For my Dad to continue his updates, the electric had to be done.

Unfortunately, the plaster in this part of the bathroom is REALLY soft, hence the giant holes.  As the electrician was cutting a small hole for the light switch, the plaster just fell away.  It was to be expected.



I'm really starting to experience what it means to "open up a giant can of worms."  This bathroom is my can of worms.  Can I put the lid back on now?   Again, so thankful for my dad and brother-in-law who are willing to take on this mess and make it lovely again.



The good news is that the sconces are gone and I can purchase one light to go above the mirror.  This will operate with one switch (not two like the sconces).  Hurray for updates that make sense!



 The other big job my electrician took on this week was the breaker box.  The old breaker box was pretty scary and didn't allow room for any more breakers (aka - no ac and no dishwasher).  This new breaker box has plenty of extra space and is much safer.

As he was updating the box he said that the rule is to have one wire per breaker - in my old box, many breakers had two wires going in.  Just another reason I'm glad I updated this now.



Dad worked really hard on updated my door knob on Saturday.  I purchased new door knobs and dead bolts for each door.  Aside from looking really nice, I will feel much safer in my home with these updates.   The side door gets the special privilege of having a key code dead bolt.  This will come in really handy for family and friends...and for when I lock myself out.



The best part of Saturday, was watching Aladdin with this kid.  It was his first time watching it and he loved it!  We skipped the scary part where Aladdin battles Jafar - it's definitely too scary for this kid.  He loved the genie and he loved the magic carpet.  When he first saw the magic carpet walking he asked "Who's in that quilt?"  Haha, he thought someone was underneath.  It was pretty adorable.

I love having everyone in the same house.  I'm glad it won't last forever, but I'm also very glad we get these few weeks together.


Coming up next week: the electrician will be updating my outlets and switches on Wednesday and adding AC outlets on Thursday.  Do you know what that means?  Unpacking can officially begin next weekend.  I cannot wait!

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!  Fly your flags with pride today! I know we will be!

2 comments:

  1. Really fun update, Ginner. So good to see Esther in family pictures again. I'm glad you mentioned flying our flag...Lowell always puts the flag up but he's far away up north so I'll put it up today. I'm so grateful to all veterans who have served our country and that includes my husband, Lowell!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really convenient to have someone in the family who knows how to do repairs. I checked your list and there’s a lot waiting in line that needs updates and repairs. Anyway, I hope you'll have fun doing updates in your house.

    ReplyDelete