Tuesday, April 16, 2013

My Motivation

Aside from really wanting to live in my house and park in my garage every day, the only thing that keeps me motivated is progress.  I'm at the house every spare minute and I'm starting to wear out.  I'm tired, but I'm almost there.  Or so I thought...

Then my mom convinced me that I should update the bathroom before I move in.  Dang it.  Sometimes, I hate it when she's right.  More on that later.

I'm much faster at prepping and painting than I used to be.  I'm also not diddling around like I used to.  My audio books keep me focused and so does the goal of moving in.

The white bedroom is finally done.  The curtains have been trashed.  The ceiling and trim have gone from yellow to white.  The partially painted walls have gone from a blotchy cream to my most favorite gray - Gray Ghost by Olympic.

As I move around the room painting, I'm up close and personal with all the mistakes in the room - the uneven plaster, the painted on dust bunnies and the grooves left from switch plates (that had apparently been overly tightened).  But when I step back and look at the fresh paint and the clean, white trim, all of those little imperfections go away.

Did you know this room had crown molding?  I sure didn't.  I had no idea it was there until I started priming.  What a fun surprise.  While it added an extra step to my already multi-step painting process, it was well worth it.

I also discovered something else - a lighting fixture I actually really like.  Ok, while I'll admit that I plan on making a few changes, I do actually like this.  The finish on the metal is really nice.  In the future I'd love to switch out the fan blades and update the glass, but other than that it's very nice.

I'm so thankful to Mom and Katie for coming over this weekend to help me paint.  Mom scraped wallpaper with unending patience.  She volunteered to do it and I am so grateful.  She had seen online that you can mix fabric softener and hot water, spray it onto the wallpaper and speed up the process.  Unfortunately, this was not the case for us.  We'll be renting a steamer this weekend.

Katie rolled on primer while we talked of her wedding plans.  Best painting topic ever.  She rolled on primer in the bedroom and hallway.  We decided to leave the scary parts in the hallway to my dad or Frank - you know, the parts that you can reach without putting a ladder on the stairs.  I don't think I want to be in the house while they do that.

I had originally planned for this room to be my craft room, but over the weekend I changed my mind. While I was working in the house during the day, I made sure to pay attention to the natural light in each room.  The front room gets much more sun throughout the day.  Also, both windows in this room have trees right outside that will soon block the light.  Thus, this will be my bedroom.

Before starting the prep work in the green/front room, I needed some motivation.  I pulled back the paper to get a glimpse of the wood with the new trim and wall colors.  It really turned out lovely.  I'm so excited.  Now I understand why people love wood floors so much - they make everything look so much better.

This is another one of those situations where I need to have terrible short term memory.  I'll try not to remember the splinters I got while dusting along to edges before taping (while the wood looks in good shape, it's really not).  I'll try not to remember the holes in the floor or random cords sticking out of walls.  I'll really try not to remember how my body aches and how tired I am.

What I will remember is all the hard work it's taken to get here and I look forward to finally moving in.

1 comment:

  1. There's definitely a reason they call what you're doing "sweat equity"! It's looking beautiful!