Wednesday, April 24, 2013

A Completely Random Update

Spending my evenings at the house has been much more enjoyable now that the sun stays out longer. I love spring and the weather has not let me down.  The grass in my yard is thriving and I'm starting to become "that neighbor".  That one that doens't mow their lawn.  I think I get a pass on this because I don't own a lawnmower.  But I hope this weekend I can take care of it.  The sad thing is that I'll have to mow over so many of the flowers that seem to have sprung up in the middle of nowhere.



Mom and I spent four hours at Ikea on Sunday.  Four glorious hours.  I loved every second of it. This fabric was one of the first things I spotted when I walked in and I'm in LOVE.  Now I just need to figure out a room to use it in.



This is my future bathroom faucet.  It's going to look lovely in my updated bathroom.  I can't wait.



This is the vanity/sink I purchased at Ikea on Sunday.  I had originally planned to go with the the 40", but when we saw this one we liked it better - which turned out to be a great thing because the 40" wouldn't have fit centered under the mirror.  The vanity has two large drawers and the top one even has dividers! I can't wait to organize my stuff (No, Esther, you are not allowed to mess it up when you come over).



Getting everything in the car was quite a challenge.  The 96" laminate counter tops barely fit.  They stretched from the back of the van all the way up to between the front two seats.  Far enough up to be my arm rest.  It didn't make things any better that I found the most wonderful dining table on sale in the As Is section.  With the help of a very strong Ikea worker, we got it all in the car (including the kitchen sink).



Mom very patiently attempted to remove the wallpaper in the smallest bedroom with a mix of fabric softener and hot water.  It did not work.  I originally went to Lowe's attempting to rent a steamer, but they don't rent.  Instead, I walked out with one of my own.  Totally and completely worth the $50.



 At this point, almost all of the painting is done.  I painted both bedrooms the same color and I'm really happy with how it turned out.  I mean, why wouldn't I be, right?  It is my favorite gray and it always looks good and I picked it - of course I'm happy with it.  Moving on...


Oh that closet door.  There are many home projects I'm saving until after I've moved in and settled.  This closet door is on the top of that list.  Every person that walks into this room does the same thing - 1. Look around the room and compliment the floor.  2. Notice the closet door.  3. Make a funny/confused face. 4. Go over to said door and take a closer look. 5. Try to scratch off the design. 6. Proclaim it as ugly and wish me good luck.

It's the weirest thing.  It's not painted on and it's not a sticker. I can't figure it out.



So this is where the steamer has come in handy.  This little room, that I usually refer to as the "closet" because that is it's destiny, is covered in a very thick and very stubborn wallpaper.  After 4.5 hours of hard work and lots of smelly fabric softener, Mom had cleared about a 6'x4' section.



With the help of the steamer, I did this entire wall in less than 2 hours.  The steamer is amazing. I really love that it's chemical free.  Just good old tap water.  One thing I learned - when you scrape off the wallpaper and it falls onto your pants, it will stick to them.  When you go to your house the next day and put on those same pants, it will be impossible to get the dried wallpaper off. The end.




On Tuesday night after work, Frank and my dad drove the van over to my house to unload all of the Ikea goodies.  It's fun to see some of the new things actually in my house instead of in boxes in the garage or my room or the trailer.  I'm really excited about my new sink for two reasons - a) I love that it has a smaller and larger section and b) I've been treating my current sink like the redheaded step child.  A new sink is a must.



When I moved out of my old apartment, I parted ways with the white set of dishes Esther had gotten me for $7. I bought two sets of these white dishes at Ikea.  I could probably get by with one, except for the fact that I hate doing dishes and there are 6 members in my family (and two mini members).



While the guys were at the house, they talked over the plans for redoing the bathroom and adding a dishwasher in the kitchen.  I listened, chimed in when possible and tried not to ask for too much.  I can just see my entire family shaking their heads as they read this.  "Tried not to ask for too much" is what did it, I know.  But! It's true.



While the boys talked, I marveled over my new table.  A few months before moving out of my apartment (before I even knew I would be moving) I bought a new dining set.  It was great for one or two people, but I wouldn't be able to have the whole family over for dinner.  Plus, it didn't take me long to realize that my 5'4" body is too short to enjoy a counter height table.



When you go to Ikea, always go to the As Is section first because you never know what you might find.  Mom and I headed there first and I'm so glad we did.  I got this baby on sale!  She'll easily seat six and there are two leaves on top of that - all for $179.  Now I just need to find chairs.

ps. If you find something you like in the As Is section that you can't carry out, push the doorbell by the employee entrance and someone will come help you.  It took me 5 minutes of hunting someone down to learn that little trick.  They even load it onto a cart for you.



After the boys measured the bathroom, they handed me a piece of paper with a bunch of numbers on it.  The only thing I had to remember was that I needed at least 42 ft² for the floor and...well...some other amount for the shower area. Ok, so I don't remember that second one, but I have it written down!  I went to a local liquidators to find a good deal and spotted these babies. 

They are 12x24" and I plan to use them for the floor.  I know it's a risk using tile this big in the bathroom, but I really love them. And by "love" I mean that I want to marry them and cover every floor in my house with them.  So we'll see.  It could be a waste of money since I can't return them, but I couldn't walk away without them.  I also couldn't walk away with them because I didn't have the strength to lift the boxes.  Thankfully, there are many young men with large muscles that work at Heeby's. You should have seen the tail end of my car sink lower and lower with each box that was put in the trunk.

ps. I hate math.  2 ft² per tile, 8 tiles in a box, 16 ft² per box, I need 42 ft², so I need 3 boxes, that gives me 48 ft², $40 per box, $120 total, divided by 48 equals $2.50 per ft².  (If you see a flaw in there, don't judge me. I had it right as some point today)



After spending more money (which apparently is my new favorite hobby), I headed back to the house to tackle another wall.  This room is slowly getting there.

Last, but not least, two big things are happening today (Wednesday).

1. The oil company is coming to fill my tank and, as a perk of signing up with them, they are also installing a new digital thermostat! Hurray!  
2. I'm having a painter come over to give me estimate on what it would cost to have them paint the scary part of the hallway and the rest of the living room.  Hopefully he doesn't read this blog because what I'm about to say would be good for him and bad for me - at this point, I almost don't care what it costs.  I can't even tell you how sick I am of painting and cleaning brushes and taping floors.  

Since I'll be having strangers in my house for the first time, I tried to straighten up a little.  That lasted for all of 5 minutes and then I realized two things - they don't care and I don't care.  Guys are guys and guys never notice.  There will be a day when the house will be clean, it just isn't today...or tomorrow...or the next day...or the day after that...

1 comment:

  1. What are you going to do when it's all fixed up and there's nothing else to do? Oh, maybe live in it and enjoy coming home and sitting with Charlie on the couch and watching something on TV? It's going to be beautiful and makes it even more fun when you not only find things you love but stuff that's actually discounted! And then there's always mowing the lawn, which I actually love to do. Can't wait to see it in person!

    ReplyDelete