Wednesday, March 6, 2013

2012 - A Year in Photos



Have no fear! I will not be posting a year's worth of photos here.  Nope. I just want to show you my "yearbook".  A few weeks ago, I shared with you my New Year's resolution - to make a book that had all of my favorite photos from 2012, not just the ones that turned out to be really pretty.



And that's exactly what I did.  I spent a few hours digging through photos on my computer and selecting all of my favorites.  I wasn't stingy.  Everything that made me smile or laugh got picked.

My book ended up being 36 pages (front and back) and contains over 300 photos.



When I did this before through MyPublisher, I wasn't too thrilled about the photo quality. This time, I pulled out all the stops. When I ordered my book, I selected the nicer paper for better photo quality and I don't regret it one bit.  The photo quality is much better.




The goal for this book was to put in everything I loved - even low quality iPhone photos. These are my girls and I absolutely loved that night.  Now, I get to look at these photos whenever I want even though they aren't on my phone anymore. 



It's roughly organized by date, but there are a few photos that are off by a month or two.  I didn't want to pay an arm and a leg for this book, so I tried to pack lots of photos onto each page.



The only improvement MyPublisher could make with their layouts - make more instagram friendly layouts.  There were only a few to choose from and I would have liked more!  

My family always yells at me when I don't get in the photos, so I made sure to include myself.  That picture of just me in the top row - that almost didn't make it in, but that was a great day.  I had gotten new sunglasses for the beach and a new haircut for my new job (which started the next day).  That was an exciting day for me and I want to remember it.



Getting the pages that lay flat was an extra $20 but it's completely worth it.  I hate when the pages bubble up.  Best $20 I spent on this project.




I was starting to feel bad for Hannah because she wasn't in this book very much and then I got to September.  This little girl has grown so much.  I can't believe she was every that little.



It's funny how my Instagram photos are usually my favorites.  



Don't worry, there are plenty of Charlie photos in this book.  



The book turned out exactly as I would have hoped - a fun and interesting way to look at photos.  Plus, I liked it much better than have to get them all printed and put them in a photo album.  This is more my style. Plus, you pay for the pages, not for the size.  A full page photo costs the same as packing ten onto one page.   I love the freedom to make the photo whatever size you want.



front cover

back cover
My macro photos showed up a lot in this book and I used two favorites for the front and back cover.  I was going to put words on the front, but I knew I would regret that eventually.  I also thought about putting a family photo on the front, but I knew I would regret that too.  I'd like to be able to leave this on my coffee table and using some macro photos seemed like a better option for that purpose.

If you're thinking about doing this too - go for it.  I'll be honest, it's not cheap.  I made this book right before Valentines and MyPublisher was having a discount.  I saved some major bucks, but it still cost me around $95.  

In my opinion, it was worth every penny.  

3 comments:

  1. how beautiful! ive only made a couple photo books (we use shutterfly - dummy friendly)i made one of our family trip to disney land (1st visit for out preschooler) and i wrote it out like it was a story... im proud of that thing ;-) cheers to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a wonderful idea to write it out like it's a book. I'm sure that's something your family will cherish for a long time! -Virginia

      Delete
  2. One of these days I'm going to make one of these albums! I have an idea brewing and you reminded me of something I've been wanting to make for your mom.

    ReplyDelete