Tuesday, February 5, 2013


I'm here! It's been amazing to be in Taiwan with Esther.  It's been two days and I feel that I'm pretty well adjusted to the new time zone.  Taiwan is 13 hours ahead of the east coast, so it's quite a change, but I'm doing pretty well.

After 17 hours of flying and 24 hours of traveling - I made it to Taiwan in one piece.  I had gotten sleeping pills for the flight, but didn't end up taking one.  Not sure why - I definitely think I'll take one on the way home.  The nice thing about a 13 hour flight - the movie selection.  I watched movies that I didn't want to pay money to rent at home.  Like - The Campaign (definitely nothing special), Pitch Perfect (Fat Amy was hilarious), Total Rekall (thumbs down), Won't Back Down (I cried, it was amazing) and Taken 2 (a copy of the first movie and super predictable).

On Saturday, Esther and I took a trip to Yinghe (pronounce Ing-ga).  There's a lot of little shops and it was amazing.  It was a beautiful day for shopping.

This photo just breaks my heart.  There are stray dogs everywhere.  They don't look like they are starving, but you can tell they are homeless.  Don't be surprised if one ends up in my suitcase.

Esther took me to a place called Shu's where you can make your own pottery.  They teach you how to do it and assist when you need help or when your pottery is looking very lopsided.  When you're done, you pick a how you want it glazed and then they ship it to you.

The little one on the right I made all by myself.  The one of the left is also mine, but I had a lot of help.

This little guy is Esther's.  She did an awesome job!  She made a second one, but I didn't get a picture of that.

Look Char! I took a picture of a person!  I'm going out of my comfort zone during this trip and trying to take photos of random people.  I always feel a little weird, but hey, I'll never see these people again, right?

Do you remember how I'm addicted to bowls?  Yeah, this place isn't helping.

I've already gotten four tiny bowls because a) they are perfect for spices during cooking and b) they are so freaking cute and tiny.

We had a wonderful day.  I can't wait for the rest of this vacation.  It's already been amazing and it's barely even started.


  1. hey Gin - i don't know if it is just me, but i can't see any of the pics in this post... :( love you! have a wonderful time!!

    1. Problem solved! Relinked the photos :) Thanks for letting me know!

  2. Yay! I'm so glad you are taking all these pictures!

  3. I can see the pictures OK on the blog and you are definitely in "bowl" heaven! Glad you're having a good time. Looking forward to more reports.