Friday, February 22, 2013

My Trip in a Nutshell

A rather large nutshell.  As many of you know, I recently took a trip to Taiwan to visit my sister, Esther, who has been living there for over a year.  Esther had the week off for Chinese New Year, so she planned a trip for us to go on during her week off.

We flew from Taiwan to Bangkok, Thailand.  We were in Bangkok for 2 days and then flew to Koh Samui (an island off the coast of Thailand) and we stayed in a resort there for 5 days.  Next, we flew back through Bangkok to Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.  After 2 days there, we flew back to Taiwan.

It was a wonderful trip and when jet lag isn't messing with my mind or my sleeping schedule, I promise I'll go through all of my photos and write a more detailed post.

For a glimpse at our trip, I had the bright idea to grab a few of my iphone photos to show you some of the things we did.  58 photos later...

The last pictures I took of Charlie before I left.

The view out the window on my first 14 hour flight

Interesting icons are everywhere in Tokyo

The traditional toilet in Asia.  I used one once -
let's just say it didn't go well.

Landed in Taiwan! 

By the time we got to Esther's apartment, I was starving.

Shopping at a local market was really fun.  So many bowls!!

The largest building in Taiwan - Taipei 101

Hot pot with some amazing people! A brand new experience for me
and it was very fun! 

I'm very organized when I pack, obviously.

Enjoying the Dr. Evil like chairs in the EVA lounge while
waiting for the first flight of our vacation. 

Some preflight ice cream.  Yum.

Because of timing, we had to get a deluxe seat on our first flight.  It
was tough, but we pushed through.  ;) 

Char is awesome about sending us photos of her babies
because we miss them like crazy.

Our first day in Bangkok!

Sea-sickness precautions.

Seeing the sights in Bangkok.

A chandelier of tea cups.  Amazing design we found
in the mall while taking shelter from the heat.

A strange display in the mall.

Simple paper art seen in a store display.

This one was my favorite.

The longest hotdog I've ever seen.

A typical day in the lives of my niece and nephew.

Some great design in a local restaurant.

These are blurry - but still needed to be shown.

We went to see Les Miserables in Thailand. It just happened
to be showing in the VIP theater.  We had pillows and
blankets and fully reclining seats.  Amazing.

Seriously, amazing.

We landed in Samui at 7:30am and got to the hotel at 8:30 - we hit the
beach immediately.

Dad - you need to make us this for our next
trip to the beach.

The view from lunch.

Very impressive food carving.

Hour five at our resort - we were in love.

A storm rolling in.

All you can eat Brazilian restaurant in Samui - amazing. 

Pretty much the best corn on the cob ever. 

Another storm - luckily they always ended quickly.

The first morning in Vietnam.

My pup was very well taken care of when I was gone.

The most amazing tub ever.  Yup, I need a tub with jets in my dream home.

We found out that Cam like to watch videos of us - so we made him one.  Mom took a video of him watching it for the first time.  We tried to leave gaps in our video for him to answer questions.  We loved the result!

He loved it so much that he watched it again.

Bumped to business class for our flight back
to Taiwan.  It was amazing.

I'm officially spoiled. 

So many souvenirs.  Don't worry - you'll see them all soon.

My two flights heading back to the east coast were the
coldest flights ever.  My toes were freezing.  Many people
had their winter coats on - I was so jealous of those people. 

Dad so wonderfully brought Charlie with him to pick me up at the airport.
It was so nice to see my pup again.

We bought Mom two hand painted bowls in Thailand.
I think she likes them.

Mom made brownies with frosting as a welcome home
to me.  Best present ever.  Hmm...I think I'll go have
some right now. 

Saving boxes for a special event. :)

So wonderful to be back home with my baby.

It's also great to be home to see these sweet babies.


  1. What a fun trip. Best post ever with those movies of Cam and Hannah. Glad you're home safe and sound. Making good memories is one of God's special blessings!

  2. Welcome back home! Loved the photos, especially the funny toilet photos, my sister told me about those... not my idea of comfort! Seemed like a wonderful visit, thanks for sharing!

  3. I'm so glad that you had a good time! Jon and I loved the videos of Cameron watching your video (I showed them to him). We both agree he is adorable. And the bowls you gave your mom are gorgeous! Can't wait to see your other loot. It's good to have you back!