Monday, February 25, 2013

Big News!

Welp, the time has come.  Time to tell you the big news! I don't know why this is the time, but it is.

I bought a house.  Yup.  I did it.  I bought a house.  If you follow me on Pinterest, you might have already figured that out - I've been pinning house stuff like a mad woman.

I first put in an offer on a house on Friday, January 11th.  The next day, I found out that the homeowner went with another offer.  Boo.

Over the next few weeks, I continued with my nightly habit of browsing Zillow.  I compared every house to the first one and nothing was better.  The more houses I looked at the more I loved the first one.

On January 28th, three days before my three week trip to Asia, my realtor called me to tell me the same house was back on the market.  I jumped on it and found out the next day that my offer was accepted.  Hurray!

I don't have any photos - but I can at least tell you about it.  I feel so blessed because I basically just bought my dream home.

It's a brick row home built around 1925.  It's adorable and cute and has an arch in the kitchen.  Two bed, one bath and wood floors throughout, which I don't think Charlie is going to love.  But I'll tell you what she will love - the fenced in back yard.  It's a privacy fence which means that people won't be able to see me in my pjs when I take Charlie out in the morning.  Oh wait - I won't have to take Charlie out in the morning!  Hurray!

There's a 1.5 car garage (perfect for future projects and protecting my car from snow) and a finished basement with a laundry room.  My house is the corner lot, so I have extra yard, extra windows, extra light and extra space.  Again, hurray!

The best part, Esther and I will be neighbors when she moves home.

Here's a glimpse of what I plan to do in my future home -

My living room is wonderful.  It has a coat closet, large front window and two entrances - one that leads to a covered porch.

#1 - This living room is light and airy and comfortable.  It makes me want to settle in for the latest episode of Grimm and never get up again.  I plan to put lots of pictures in my living room.

#2 - I love the warm floor, white trim, and neutral walls.  I also love how the front face of the stairs are painted white.

#3 - A simple project that can really personalize a space.  I love it.  This will happen somewhere in my home.  It could be the living room, but it could also be my craft room.

#4 - There's one closet in my living room and I love the idea of making it an open space with a bench and storage for coats.



My home is over 80 years old, so I'm sure you can imagine what the bathroom looks like.  While it has been updated, it could really use some more TLC.  But bathrooms scare me, so for now, all changes will be cosmetic.  When I find me a handyman husband, we'll go deeper.  But everything works fine, so the only real change I'll make will be to add in my lovely Delta In2ition shower head.

#1 - My bathroom has zero storage, so I really love this open shelving.

#2 - These wire baskets are fantastic.  Being able to install them on my own is very appealing.  I've got my dad and brother-in-law signed up for enough work, why add to their load?

#3 - This is the color I will be painting my bathroom.  The wall tile has been painted white and I think this wonderful color will be perfect.



My bedroom is a really nice size and has two windows.  The only thing I'm really missing as far as my bedroom goes is a bed frame.  Someday I want to be a grownup and have a bed frame.  For now, my two mattresses will have to work.

#1 - I love how comfortable and girly this bedroom is.  I plan on putting my bench at the end of my bed and filling my room with photos.

#2 - I own two of these Ikea chandeliers. I plan to put one in my bedroom and the other will probably go in my bathroom (yeah baby!).



My kitchen.  Sigh.  My kitchen is why I fell in love with my house.  (In case you haven't picked up on in, it's really fun to say "my" in all of these sentences).  My kitchen looks very much like the kitchen in the top of #2 (except that my counter tops are maroon. yikes).  The kitchen is a galley kitchen with one end leading the the basement and living room and the other end leading the back yard.  There are 5 windows in my kitchen.  It's perfect.

#1 - There is space in my kitchen for a bench like this by the backdoor.  I love the extra storage it would add.  Technically, I probably should have included this photo in my next mood board (oops).

#2 - This is what I would like my kitchen to look like someday.  Dark gray lowers and white uppers.

#3 and #4 - These are two more examples of what I would like to do to my kitchen someday.  The colors and light are perfect, but these don't seem realistic to me.  The people that updated these kitchens were obviously loaded and made major changes.

The kitchen in #2 makes me think that I can actually do it without breaking the bank.  Painting the cabinets won't happen for a while.  It's not necessary, so it'll happen down the line.  I do plan to add a dishwasher and try to update the countertops before moving in.



When you walk in the backdoor, there's about a five foot stretch before you hit the kitchen.  It's lined with windows.  It would be the perfect place to do this finish.  It would give me a place to dump my shoes and wipe Charlie's feet before coming in the house.

#1 - I love, love, love this so much.  I love the pure white of of the finish and the hooks on the walls.

#2 - Adding a ledge at the top would be great for plants and photos.  It's just perfect.


So those are the preliminary plans.  I'm sure things will change as I live there, but I'm ready to take each project one day at a time and I'm very excited to get started.  My friend Krit made a great point - she said, "They take way longer than Sherri and John make them look so be ready:)"

I'm ready, at least I think I'm ready.  I feel more prepared now that I bought a metal pen for Charlie.  When you stretch it out straight it's 16' long - long enough to stretch across the garage door so I can keep the door open while I work and not worry about Charlie escaping.

The best feeling is knowing that this is the house God has given me.  I'm so blessed to have friends and family to support me during this big step.  I've had a lot of people offer to help me move and paint and do whatever.  As I said, I am very blessed.

I did the math and figured out that I have moved 11 times the past nine years, starting with my first move to college freshmen year.  Yuck.  I can't wait to move into a home of my own put down roots in this community and dig in for the long haul.

Moving in and actually living there is going to be amazing, but the thing I'm the most excited about - my first snow at my new house.

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations!! That is so exciting. I'm glad you got the house that you really wanted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful news!!! Congrats!!! I love all of your ideas too, very stylish and cozy! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can't wait to show everyone pictures of the house. It's adorable!

      Delete
  3. So exciting! Krit is spot on - it takes much longer but is so worth it! I love your mood boards. Chandeliers are great - especially in the bedroom and bathroom! Congratulations on your new home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! I can't wait to have you over sometime!

      Delete