Monday, January 21, 2013

Oh Captain, My Captain Chair

Over the weekend, Char, Hannah and I went to a local thrift store to see what we could find. For being only 3 months old, Hannah did a great job on our little outing.  After the thrift store, we headed to HomeGoods to look around. She loved looking at all the shiny objects (and so did we).

Along with a few other items, I brought home this captain's chair. It's not super my style, but I've been dying to do a project lately and this fit the bill (a $20 bill).   I plan to strip then paint this sucker a nice bright color.  Charlotte had a great idea to dip it and I'm loving that plan.

So, of course, I hit up Pinterest for some pinspiration.

These chairs from Better Homes and Gardens are really beautiful.  I love the pastel pink (who knew I would ever say that) with the stained wood on the legs.  I also like the idea of only painting a bright color on the legs, like the chair with yellow feet.

This painted captain's chair from Somerset Bay Home gives me hope that this chair might actually look nice someday. 

When I remembered that I have never removed stain before, I looked up some techniques on Pinterest.  I found this tutorial from Frugal with a Flourish - it seems simple and easy to follow.

Note to self: never search "stain stripper" on Pinterest every again.  

Somewhere along my Pinterest travels, I came across this brilliant idea from Martha Stewart.  What a great way to paint the entire chair at the same time without having to worry about it sticking to the paper.

Of all the ideas I found on Pinterest, this chair from Folklore was by far my favorite.  I like that the stained part of the chair is on the top, so it actually looks dipped.  

Now the hardest part will be picking a paint color - which means I have to decide ahead of moving into a home what room this will eventually go in.
  • Dining room?  Sure. It could work.  But will it go with my future dining room table and chairs?  Mostly like not at all.  
  • Living room? Sure.  It could work.  It would mean extra seating, which is always needed in living rooms.  Also, it could be paired with a fun pillow or end table to tie it in to the rest of the room.  Or it could be tucked into a corner to be pulled out when needed.
  • Bedroom?  No thanks - don't need it there.
  • Craft room?  Maybe.  I already have a great desk chair that is super cushiony and comfy.  Maybe if I added casters to the chair it would make it work for a craft room.
  • Bathroom? I should be so lucky.  A bathroom big enough for a random chair?  Yes please. 
  • Kitchen?  If I had room for a small breakfast table, this would be perfect.  Oooh, I like this idea.  Too bad I don't have a kitchen yet! 
You see my dilemma?  I need a good idea for color, because I only want to do this once.  Either way, I am excited to finally have a project to work on again!  It feels like it's been so long since I've done anything like this.  Far too long.

Charlie is neither impressed nor excited.  She just knows that this project means more time on the deck for her - and that makes her one happy pup.

1 comment:

  1. First of all - Hannah is so adorable. And how fun to see how your chair turns out. Looking forward to the transformation.

    Back when I was in my 20's, I got a chair at a 2nd hand store for $2!! Yeah, that was a great deal even back in the olden' days of the 70's. I stripped it, put new fabric on the seat and stained it and it is in my guest room right now!!