Tuesday, January 29, 2013

A Favorite Photo

Charlotte took this photo of me and my favorite niece, Hannah, a little after Thanksgiving.  I recently got it printed via Hipstamatic PrintLab.  Through their website, you can get square photos printed - there aren't many places that do that.  Technically this is an Instagram photo, so shhh, don't tell.

Anyway, I love this photo of this little lady and me, so I wanted to give it a frame.



This 10x10in canvas was sitting in my closet taking up space.  I had tried to use it for a previous project, but as you can see, taping off stripes didn't exactly work on the canvas texture.  To use this canvas to frame my photo, I first had to paint it back to white.  Three coats of primer later, I had a white canvas.



Once I had a white canvas, the next step was to add some color.  Since the photo is black and white, I thought the canvas should have some color.  My first thought was to paint the border to match the color of one of my rooms, but I couldn't pick a favorite.  Finally, I settled on gold metallic.  Using regular masking tape, I taped off a thin border.  Then I painted the edges and outside border gold.

Because I had to use so many coats of white paint (mostly because I'm not patient enough to let it dry completely), the paint smoothed out the texture of the canvas quite a bit.  That worked to my advantage because it gave the tape a smooth surface to stick to - which meant that the metallic paint wouldn't bleed through the tape.



This is the metallic paint I used for the project.  It's a great metallic paint and is very shiny and looks great.  It took about three coats to fully cover the canvas so no white was showing through.



Once all the paint was dry, I used double sided tape to stick the photo to the canvas.  I LOVE how it turned out.  The thin border leaves room for a white "matte" between the gold and the photo.   I also love how the gold shines.



The gold frame and black and white photo look really nice together and I'm really happy with the finished project.  Now I just have to figure out where to hang it.



My lack of space has me running into that problem a lot - where to put this, where to put that.  But this photo is important to me, so it will have a home soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment