Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Neon Pink!

Last week, I shared with you some of my new purchases for Christmas.  Among those items was this moose.  The plan for this moose was to buy him, spray paint him, and hang him on my Christmas tree.  So this pasts weekend, I set about making it happen.

The first step was getting myself set up on the deck.  Charlie was not happy with me invading her space with some smelly spray paint, but she eventually got over it.

And I even got a kiss.

As you can see, I chose neon pink as my color.  Oh my word, I love it.  Honestly, it's so neon and bright that it's hard to tell if it's red or pink.  I had to do some photoshopping so that the photo matched what it looks like in real life.  In the photo it looks completely red, when it actually is pink.

During the middle of the spray painting process, I broke his antler.  Oops.  Thank goodness for some super glue and spray paint...

You can't even tell I ever broke it.   After finishing up the paint, I braided some orange and white bakers twine to use to hang the ornament.  Then I carefully wrapped it in a plastic bag so that the antler wouldn't break again before it was time for it to go up on the tree.

You know what I learned while doing this project?  I learned that I have zero patience when it comes to spray paint.  Every person in my family that just read that sentence is scoffing and thinking not just with spray paint.  It's true, I don't have a lot of patience.  

So here's the best advice I can give you, just keep in mind that I'm terrible at following this advice - to get the best result, use light coats and repeat many times.  

Ugh, even typing that drove me crazy.  BUT! I will say that whenever my dad spray paints something he uses that technique and it turns out beautifully (like this awesome ramp he made for Cam).  

Basically what I'm saying is, don't do what I do.  

But, terrrible spray painting etiquette aside, I love my moose.  Now there's only one problem - what should I name him?


  1. I love your moose too! He came out great. When Uncle Lowell was hunting, he would have appreciated if all moose had been this color!!!

  2. I think he should be called - Chris-Moose. Because he is a christmas moose. You can call him Chris for short, I guess :)

    1. Hi Claire! I LOVE that name! I've already referred to him as Chris several times and it fits him perfectly. He loves it. Thanks for the idea! -Virginia

  3. Where did you get the moose it is cute!

  4. what spray paint did you use?

    1. Hi there! I used Rust-oleum Specialty Fluorescent in pink. It worked great!