Thursday, November 15, 2012

My Etsy Shop

My current Etsy shop is a little sad with just two downloads, but it's something I've been working to change.  The goal for any new products is to have something that is ready to ship; something hand made that is special.  I'm no artist, but I have some ideas in my head that I think will turn out very nicely.  

The idea I have for a new product is going to cost me some up-front money. It's not something custom that can be done when the order is in.  It has to be ready to ship - therefore, I have to spend money to make money.  It not a lot of money, but it's a lot for me.  

So if I'm going to spend this money, I'm going to take it seriously.  The best motivation for me is a deadline.  I gave myself a deadline of Thanksgiving.  So over the past weeks I've been gathering materials and formulating a plan.

Today I made another purchase toward this project and it took me about 15 minutes to hit "complete order".  Right before I completed the order, I had a moment of "it's no big deal."  

People take bigger risks than this every day.  So I make this product and no one buys it, it's no big deal.  So I have some extra supplies laying around, it's no big deal.  

If no one buys them, I'll give them away.  If I have extra supplies, I'll use it for other products.  I'm being fiscally responsible and thinking carefully before making purchases.  I'm not committing to anything that I can't do. 

I can't wait to share with you this new project.  I'm really excited to try it and even more excited to put it in my Etsy shop.

So why am I freaking out? Because this is new and out of my comfort zone - and that, my friends, is a good thing.


  1. Yay! Thanks for the update, I wondered how your etsy shop was doing. :)

    1. Hi Claire! Thanks for saying hello and stopping by my blog :) -Virginia