Monday, November 19, 2012

Empty Wall Upgrade

When I first moved home and was setting up my two-room suite, I thought about where I would be taking photos for this blog.  My original plan was to use the space to the left of my computer. See all of that nice light there?

Here's the problem, my room (and only my room) doesn't get any AC even though we have central air.  Who knows what's going on there, I'm just thankful that I get a window unit - which unfortunately blocks all of that light.



Anyway, part of the original plan was to leave that wall and the left side of my desk empty for easy photo taking.  But since I really couldn't use it anyway, I added a shelf - which has quickly beome my favorite place to take photos.  Now that the AC unit is gone, it gets a lot of light.  Most of the things I take photos of are pretty small, so I thought it was time to fill up the rest of the wall.



This simple photo shelf from Ikea was just $15 and added a ton of space for the artwork that I've recently purchased.  I had originally planned to keep the art away until I had a home to hang it in, but I love it and I want to see it all the time.

Starting to see a trend? I make plans and then change them all the time.  My philosophy - this is totally necessary when decorating your home.  I tend to live in the space, figure out what's missing, and then fill the void.



This art and photo shelf definitely fills a void.  I love how it covers a little of the bunting - it brings more depth to the design.



Oh! Hi Nick.  I didn't even see you there. You're thick, brown hair didn't distract me at all from what I was working on.  I'm just hanging some photos - nothing compared to keeping the world safe from wesen.

Do you watch Grimm?  When I first started watching it was good, but not great.  I kept watching it because of his thick, brown hair I had the time.  Now it's definitely one of my favorite shows because of his thick, brown hair the story line.  ps. Holy crap that last episode was good!!





Charlie was not impressed.

Anyway...



In case you don't remember - here's a close up of the art I purchased back in July.  I still haven't gotten up the courage to take them out of their plastic covers.  With no glass to protect them from dust and damage, they'll be staying in the plastic.  



As I sit here writing this post, I keep looking up at my beautiful, full shelf.  What a great and simple edition to this space.  It makes it feel much cozier over here - and it only took 5 minutes to do. 

5 comments:

  1. Yes, Mr Burkhardt is definitely a regular fixture in my lounge... hee hee. He (and his hair) are pretty awesome. Were you referring to the last episode for this season? What an ending!

    I love your study/work space. And...I'm so glad you decided to put your artwork on display. I used to do the same and keep my little treasures (artwork, not kids) hidden away for when I get finally get my next home, but then started missing them all. Now they're all out there where they should be for people to love. Your bunting is sweet too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kylie! It's nice to know there are fellow Nick-lovers out there. :) Putting up the art has really helped make this place feel like home - and so has putting up my Christmas tree! I hope you have a wonderful holiday season! haha I almost said "I hope you had a good Thanksgiving". Oops! -Virginia

      Delete
  2. I really like the art setup on the shelf. I'm hoping to do something similar over Ellie's crib someday. I also like that pennant banner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of my favorite shelves! Ikea has two different sizes if you're interested :)

      Delete
  3. It is amazing how shelves covered in our favourite things make all the difference in the world! BTW, huge Grimm fan and this season has been wicked awesome!

    ReplyDelete