Wednesday, October 31, 2012

My New Toy

During my week in England, I had the opportunity to watch a professional photographer at work.  It was a very interesting sight and a great experience.  One of the tools she used a lot was a reflector.  I hit up amazon thinking that they would be very expensive, but why not just look?

Fotodiox 22" 5-in-1 Reflector Pro, Premium Grade Collapsible Disc, Soft Silver/Gold/Black/White/Diffuser
There are many reflectors that were very expensive, but it turns out this 5-in-1, 22in reflector from Fotodiox is only $13.  For that price I figured, why not?

The best way to see something in action, is to take a series of photographs.  So, here's the straight out of the camera shots.  I haven't done any editing to these photos.

This photo was taken using the silver side of the reflector.  You can't see it, but I have the reflector to the right of the tea cup - its bouncing the light from the window onto the right side of the cup.  You can see a big difference between this one and the first one.  

The silver reflector brings light to the image and gives it more contrast.  As you can see, the dark shadows on the right side of the cup are now gone.  The photo looks light and bright!

The job of the black side of the reflector is to block light and help create shadows.  As you can see here, it did exactly what it was supposed to do.  This is not a setting when I would use the black side, but I still wanted to show it to you.  

"If you're trying to take a portrait outside, and the face gets a bit too much light on one side, a black reflector might help you reduce that by both creating a "shadow" by blocking light, and not reflecting any light onto that side of the face." -Source

The diffuser was something I was very excited to get.  When the light is strong, the diffuser helps to, well, diffuse the light and make it softer.  It gives you a wider spread of light, therefore diffusing the light.  Even though this photo doesn't look wonderful, there aren't any harsh shadows.  Like the black side, I wouldn't use this side in this setting, but I wanted you to see the difference.

A white reflector is used to bring soft light to an object.  They are good for photographing people because they give people a softer look and hide flaws.  This also helped to lesson the shadows on the right side of the cup.

Last but not least, the gold side.  The gold reflector is used to bring warm light to a photo.  This one looks very similar to the silver reflector, but the overall photo is much warmer.

And there you have it.  The 5 sides of my new reflector.  I took a lot of photos over the weekend of the different projects I was working on and this reflector was definitely worth the money. 

In case you are wondering where you might store a 22 in reflector - have no fear!  This 22 in reflector folds into a nice 7 inch package and fits into a carrying case.  It's light and easy to use (and not to mention very fun to open).


  1. Very cool! Thanks, I learned something new today, yay!

    1. Hi there! I'm so glad this post was helpful to you! It was helpful for me, too! I had to make sure my facts were right - so I did a little research. Thanks for stopping by! -Virginia