Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Homemade Camera Strap

Work has been crazy lately, so even though we had a holiday yesterday, I headed in for a few hours of uninterrupted work.  When I got home, I was ready to get work out of my head, so I headed to my Projects board on Pinterest.  I have been wanting to make a camera strap cover for awhile, but my seamstress has been out of commission.  Mom hurt her back from too much sewing - no lie!  Spending all of that time bent over her sewing machine hasn't been good for her.

I knew that if I attempted this camera strap, I would have to do it all by myself.  I figured, the purpose of the tutorial is to teach beginners how to make things - I'm a beginner, so it must have been meant for me, right?




Using this tutorial from Everything Etsy, I was able to make my very own camera strap cover.  The directions told me to read everything before beginning the project so that I would understand the whole process.  Honestly, the fact that I even saw that direction was pretty incredible - I usually just follow pictures and only read the directions when I need clarification.  Ikea directions are my kinda directions.

Anyway, I'm glad I read through the whole thing.  I even took notes because when I write things down I am better at remembering them.  Knowing each step before I started helped get me through this without any major hiccups.



Step One: gather materials.  This was one of those awesome, totally free projects.  My mom has all this stuff on hand.  In fact, the biggest challenge was choosing which material I wanted to use.  She has so many great patterns!



The blogger that wrote the directions used a stitch like this that goes back and forth (I'm sure there's a name for that stitch, but I don't know what it is.) Anyway, when I did it my fabric pulled together and looked really awful.  So I stucked to a straight stitch.



Before sewing my camera strap, I did a little practice first.  Just to make sure I still knew how to use my mom's machine.



Good news!  I only broke one thing during this whole process.  One little needle.  Oops.



Does anyone else find cutting fabric to be very difficult?  I do.  I never turns out right/straight.  Plus, when I was sewing the pieces together, the fabric kept moving.  Eek!



Let's just pretend my lines are straight and perfect.  Really, who's going to see that anyway?



The ends are pretty terrible, but it's nothing I can't live with.  This isn't too bad considering that I sew maybe once a year.



Thankfully, I mananged to get one side that looks somewhat good (minus the corners).  I'll just keep the awful, uneven side facing down and no one will ever know!  Hmm...except all of you reading this.  We'll just keep that our little secret.



The directions said the finished strap would be 22in long, so I made sure to add some extra length since mine was 23 inches.  Even with that extra length, it's still shorter than I'd like.




I don't typically use my camera strap, but I might use it more now!  

4 comments:

  1. You just reminded me why I've always hated to sew and consequently don't!!! It is hard to cut the fabric straight and sew straight seams and all of that stuff. But you did good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you might like this kitchen timer! It reminds me of all the pictures you post of your lenses!

    http://whatthecool.com/post/3485351867/camera-lens-kitchen-timer/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so cool!!! Thanks for telling me about it!

      Delete
  3. Hiya!
    That stitch that goes back and forth is called a zig zag stitch. Cutting fabric with your rotary cutter just takes practice. I was terrible and nervous every time I used it when I first started quilting, but now I have no issues (well, working part time in a patchwork shop for 12 months was a great help). Coincidentally I'm going to make a camera strap this weekend as a birthday gift for a friend and I think you've done a great job - nice inspiration.

    ReplyDelete