Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The Shop is Open!

Wow.  I've done it.  I've opened my Etsy shop — http://www.etsy.com/shop/virginiaandcharlie

This whole process is very new to me so I've started slow...



I've only posted one item.  Just one little, lonely item.  BUT this is only the beginning!  Whenever I do something new like this, I always want to do it the right way and make sure there are no kinks in the process.  Last night, on a whim, I decided it was time to open the shop, so I enlisted a tester-outer - my mom.



I went through the process with her so I could see how everything works and get some questions answered - what emails would I get? How soon would I get them?  Does the email contain the buyers email so I can send them the art?  Where does it show what color they picked?  How does the payment process work?  (if you're interested in the answers to these questions, see the end of this post)

After getting my questions answered, I felt a lot better about opening the shop.



Getting this adorable and thoughtful email from Etsy also made me feel better.  I know it's an automated process that sends out these emails, but it was still nice to get.  Thanks Etsy :)



After my mom's purchase I got this little ditty.  It may not have been a legit sale (because I made her do it), but it was still fun!

This whole thing is brand new for me, so if you have any issues with a purchase please let me know!  And if you have any ideas on things to sell, let me know that, too!   I've only got one item for now, but it won't be that way forever!


My Questions and The Answer:

-What emails would I get?  I received two emails - one from Etsy informing me that a purchase was made and one from PayPal informing me that a payment was made.

-How soon would I get them?  I received both emails within 5 minutes of when the order was placed.

-Does the email contain the buyers email so I can send them the art?  At the bottom of the email from Etsy there was section that said "If you have any questions about this order, please contact the buyer directly".  It listed their name and email address along with two links that said "Send ____ a convo" and "Send ____ an email."   Since email is how I'll be sending this wall art, it was a relief to see that info.

-Where does it show what color they picked?  At the very top of the email from Etsy, there was a section that was labeled "Note from Buyer."  In that section it showed any message, from the buyer - aka, color choice.

-How does the payment process work?  I had previously set up a seller account with PayPal that is connected to my Etsy shop (Etsy tells you how to do this when you go through the steps to set up shop).  When my mom made her purchase, the money went directly to that account and I received an email from PayPal confirming the payment.

2 comments:

  1. I would recommend putting a big ol' watermark across the middle of your pictures up on etsy, otherwise people can just 'save as' the image and they get it for free.

    Sure it may not be the highest resolution image, but it might suffice for some dishonest people who don't want to pay for your beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claire, thanks so much for this advice! It's a great idea and I did it as soon as I got your comment. Thanks again! -Virginia

      Delete