Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Photo Strip on Canvas

This summer has definitely been full of good memories that I want to remember for a long time.  The last time we went to ocnj for vacation, Esther and I got our pictures taken in one of the many photo booths on the boardwalk.  My goal this summer was to get another one with Esther (gotta keep the tradition going) and also get one with the Camster.

I don't know about you, but I have yet to find a frame that is made for framing photo strips.  Instead of waiting around, I decided to take matters into my own hands.  When I was at Michael's the other day, I saw their wide variety of canvases and an idea popped into my head!  

After browsing Pinterest, I found this idea from The Idea Room and knew exactly what to do! 

I headed to my trusting Mac to play around on Illustrator and came up with a few ideas:


I liked these ideas, but not all of them were really do-able.  I didn't really love the idea of the photo strip sitting on top of my cut out shapes and I didn't want to have to arrange a bunch of individual letters.  I settled on the simplest design and the one I liked the best - "2012" (top left).

Step 1: create the design in my Silhouette software.  There's no way I was going to cut that out by hand - way too much detail!  This typeface is called Pomadour.  You can find it at Lost Type Co-op.

I cut out two of each number so that I could glue them together to give my design some dimension.  This is one of those great ways to use up some of the scrap paper I have lying around.   The white side is actually the back of the paper.

I glued the pieces together with mod podge or stick glue (whichever I felt like wrestling with) and then mod podged them to the canvas (make sure to apply pressure).  This was a pretty delicate piece of paper and the more I handled it the more the skinny pieces bent.  I tried to line them up exacly, but as you can see, I wasn't completely successful.  Luckily, you can't see that in the finished design.

Once the first coat of paint dried, I applied a second coat to fill in any gaps and make sure their was no white showing through.  I also tried to be very careful when painting my letters: a) I didn't want to move/break them and b) I didn't want paint to pool at the edges.

Once the paint was dry, I put double sided tape on the back of the photo strip and pressed it onto the canvas.  Unfortunately, it's a little crooked.  When I tried to pull it off and fix it, I discovered the that double sided tape was doing an excellent job of being very sticky.  Oh well, I'm cool with it.

I love how this little project turned out and I'm very excited to get it on the wall!  I still have several left, so on to the next...


  1. Hey, I know those people!


    And ps. that quilt is still amaze-balls.

  2. Cool idea there. The frame really look cool. Nice.

    Canvas Photos