Friday, August 10, 2012

North and South

Last night, I sat and stared at my computer for an hour.  I had no idea what to write and was definitely not feeling motivated.  Finally, I gave up and walked away.  Who wants to read something I write just to fill empty space?  At that point, no post is better than a half-hearted post.

I headed to my room to spend some time with Illustrator before going to bed.  While I was playing around, I was watching one of my favorite movies, North and South (actually, it's a mini-series).  Not the Patrick Swayze North and South, no no no.  It was the Mr. Thorton North and South.  It's a wonderful story about Margaret Hale, a middle class southerner who is forced to move to the northern town of Milton.  Simply put - it's amazing.

In case that description isn't enough, IMDB tells me that...
That should give you a little hint as to how awesome this mini-series really is.




Anyway, while I was watching the movie I came to the very last (and very best) scene.  Instead of watching the characters, I was checking out the background.  Look at that awesome sign!  I love how simple the design is; two colors, straight lines, simple type.  Perfect.  So of course, instead of going to bed early, I stayed up late creating my own design and writing this post.   If you see any typos, just chalk it up to a tired brain (I wish I could blame grammatical errors on that, but unfortunately that's just me).





I'm still learning how to add texture to my designs, so for now I'll stick to simple graphics.  I don't know what I'll use it for, but I'm sure I'll figure out something.

I've created a pdf file with this design in three colors for you to download.  The banner is just one size, but you can use your print settings to change that (just scale it to the size you want).

You can download this North and South inspired freebie right here.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I watched North and South (the one you just watched) a long time ago and loved it.

    ReplyDelete