Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Photo backdrops

Since moving home, I've realized something - the lighting in my room sucks.  Who would have thought that a room with three outside walls and a window on each wall would have bad lighting?  I definitely did not.  I was really looking forward to it.

There have been many times that I have taken photos that turned out to be unusable since the lighting is terrible.  That's a pretty frustrating thing since I take a lot of photos for this blog.

My older sister, Esther, owns a clothing rack.  Since she is currently living out of the country, that clothing rack has been hanging around our house.  It took me about 10 minutes to dig it out of storage in the basement, but I finally got it.

I then found the light gray fabric I used for a photo booth, ironed out the wrinkles (I took this photo before doing that), and draped it over the clothing rack.

After laying a white piece of foam core on a side table, I angled my contraption toward the light I liked the best and started shooting.

I tested it out by taking pictures of some of the things Esther brought me from her new home in Asia.  The fabric makes a much nicer backdrop than my walls and desk.

The photos still needed some editing, but they turned out ok.  Actually, the thing I dislike the most is the fabric.  Even thought it was ironed, it's still really wavy and creased.  What I plan on doing is getting some heavy fabric (like the stuff used for curtains and upholstery) to use as a backdrop.  I'm guessing it will lay much better than this flimsy stuff.

I saw this project on Pinterest done by Kim from Easy Peasy Pie.  She found a tutorial here for this homemade backdrop stand.  You can easily change out the fabric in the background to match the object you are photographing.  She even included trim on the bottom so that it looks like a regular wall.

It's a project I am really interested in and would love to do.  I can only take photos during certain times of the day, depending on how the light is hitting the wall I want to use as the background.  This is something that can go wherever the light is, even outside!  The tutorial says the total cost is around $16.  For a price like that, this is definitely something I would like to do.  I just need to talk to my handy man (a.k.a. my dad) and see if he'd be up to helping me with this.  Best part - you can disassemble the entire stand and store it away.  Awesome!

At this point, there are so many projects on my list that this might get pushed off, but the more I look at this, the more I want it.  It may soon be #1 on the project to-do list.

1 comment:

  1. That is a very interesting project. You did great! Such a marvelous ideas. Simple backdrops can make a great photographs. Just keep it up! More way to go..!