Monday, July 16, 2012

A Little History

You may be starting to notice a trend: I have a very talented family.  



One of my dad's many talents is creating stunning stained glass pieces.  This is something Dad did for me many years ago; it's me!  He created this from a picture of me playing field hockey in high school (my school colors were green and white).  



I still remember when he gave this to me.  I was sitting in the living room with both my parents and we were just talking.  He gave it to me out of the blue.  It wasn't my birthday or Christmas, it was just something special for me. 



It means everything to me and I have worked hard to keep it safe all these years; so much so that I didn't even hang it up while I lived in apartments because I didn't want it to get knocked off the walls by crazy neighbors. 



Last Christmas, he gave us each another special creation.  The colored glass in the center of this piece is very special - it was made by hand by my great grandfather, Lawrence Saint.  He has stained glass windows in cathedrals all over the world.  One of his most famous windows is the north rose window in the National Cathedral in Washington, D.C.



When my dad was putting this together, he didn't change the shapes of the leftover pieces of glass.  He put them together as they were - just some scraps left over from other projects.  Who knows, maybe one of these little scraps of glass was a part of a larger piece that found a home in the north rose window. 

Either way, these two beautiful stained glass pieces have a lot of meaning and history to me.  Now that I am home again, I will be very carefully hanging these up (one in the living room, one in the bedroom).  I can't wait to enjoy them every day!

1 comment: