Thursday, July 26, 2012

Hello Macro

It's here!  It's here it's here it's here!  (insert jumping up and down here)  Meet Oscar.  Oscar loves to get up close and personal.  He's delicate and bold and he's all mine.




When Oscar arrived in the mail today, I grabbed the smallest thing I could find and started shooting.  Go figure that the smallest thing around was Cam's pirate lego.  Legos are always around in this house.

This is as close as I could get with my 35 mm kit lens (the lens that comes with the camera).




This is as close as I could get with my 50mm f/1.4 lens.




And this is Oscar.  Now, don't blame him for the blur - that is definitely my fault.  It's a heavy lens and I can see my hands shaking when I look through the lens.  So I have to make sure I get my settings just right.




Since today is my birthday (Hello 27), Charlotte and I spent last night baking so that I had some treats to take to work.   I used the cupcakes as my model for getting used to the lens.

I tried using Cameron as my model, but that kid never stops moving!

"Who's singing?"
"Help, Ginner."
"Go outside, Mommy?"
"Hi Ginner."
"Cake? Cake? Cake?"
"Hi Charlie!"
"Where's her potty?"
"Charlie's pooping!  Let's go get her!" (don't worry, I intervened)




Ok, back on track - I know that a shutter speed of 1/60 is the slowest I can get without seeing the shakiness of my hands.  It's in focus, but it's super dark.



Then I had an idea!  Lightbulb!  I should change the ISO!




I took my ISO from 200 to 1600 - what a difference!  




With a few more tweaks to the apeture and shutter speed, I had a photo that I liked.  Now, if I wasn't showing you my camera adjustment process, I would have edited this, but I still love it - mostly because Oscar is amazing.




This macro lens is all I imagined it to be.  I can't wait to take a trip and really test it out! 

4 comments:

  1. wow!! that is amazing!! what a great birthday gift :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, Ginner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiya! What sort of lens is Oscar...I mean, I know he's a macro, but what mm?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kylie! Oscar is a Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro Lens. I've been using it for several months and I'm very happy with it! It's definitely a great lens and it was worth every penny! -Virginia

      Delete