Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Gettin' Crafty

Lately, I've been a little lazy as far as crafting goes.  Good news!  I finally got my rear in gear and made something.  Not gonna lie, it felt pretty refreshing to be creative without spending money for once.

This card and drawing from Fellow Fellow are really spectacular and lovely.  They are simple designs that have a big impact.  So a few nights ago, I set about drawing my own ribbon design in Illustrator.

It took me quite awhile, but I finally had a banner that I really liked.  Illustrator is new for me and actually crearting my own shape takes time.  I never could have drawn this by hand, so I'm really thankful to have this program that can help me.

Once I had my basic shape, I traced this shape in my Silhouette program and cut it out.  If you'd like to use this image: click on the photo to enlarge it, click save as, and you're done!  Have fun with it!  

I put a few different pieces of paper behind my cutout to see what I would like best.  What I thought would be my least favorite turned out to be my favorite after all.  The blue paper is really busy, so when I first put the white paper on top, the details got lost in the blue pattern.  When I took these photos, I realized that having space between the white and blue paper created a nice shadow.

To create the space between the two pieces of paper I used little foam spacers.  Ok, I admit that I may have gone overboard, but I didn't want it to look like it was sagging.

It actually turned out to be pretty cute.  Now, I have no idea what I'm going to do with this, but I'm glad I made it.  I had fun and I ended with a pretty cute project - all in all, it was a good time.

See those little hearts in the corner?  I'm not really one for hearts, but it seems to work on this project.  Do you think it was a good choice?