Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Delta Blogger Event, Day 1

Today is the first day of the Delta Blogger Event in Indianapolis.  Right now I'm at the airport waiting for my flight.  This is the first time I've flown anywhere by myself and it's definitely a new experience.

Now, I know my way around an airport and I know how everything works, but I've always been following someone.  I've been fortunate to travel a lot as I was growing up, so I've had a lot of experience with flying (the best part is when you can feel the wheels leaving the ground).  But there's added pressure to get everything right when I know I have people waiting for me on the other end.

Needless to say, my anxiety was completely unnecessary.  Here I am at my gate, with all my luggage, my ticket, and my license all ready to go.

I did have one hiccup though - going through security.  When I got there, I put my laptop in it's own box, then I put my shoes, makeup, and toiletries in their own box.  Next, I put my bag and suitcase on the belt.  Finally, it's my turn to go through the metal detector.  Before I even walk in she tells me I have to take off my sweater; I quick run get another box and throw that in.   As I walk through the metal detector, the alarm goes off (ah!); I run over and throw my watch in the box with my sweater (who knew a $12 watch from Target would set it off).  I look at the girl and laughingly say "I'm not doing too good today."  When she doesn't even crack a smile, I laugh at myself and walk on through.

So now I'm gathering my things when the guy walks around with my suitcase and says he has to look inside.  First, he puts on rubber gloves and then he tells me there's a large aerosol can in my suitcase.  Dang it!  That very morning as all four of us (Mom, Dad, Esther, and me) were readying my suitcase for the flight, we got a small hair spray so I wouldn't get my big one taken away.  I had originally planned on checking my bag, but they talked me out of it.  I guess when we put the little one in, we forgot to take the big one out.

I wish I had some photos to put in here for you, but my new phone isn't working yet (UGH).

Ok, time to head to Dunkin and get some breakfast!  All this nervous energy has made me so hungry!  My flight boards in 20 minutes - see you on the other side!

Hey Mom, give Charlie a belly rub for me!

6 comments:

  1. New phone?!?!!? :) Have a blast, Gin!!! Can't wait to hear all about your time in Indianapolis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - great story before you even had breakfast! Can't wait to hear the rest. Neat experience, Ginner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ginner...I absolutely love reading your blog! every post makes me smile and laugh. you definitely have a talent for keeping a captivated audience :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda, thanks for yor comment! I'm so glad you enjoy reading my posts! Thanks for stopping by! -Ginner

      Delete
  4. Virginia, It was a pleasure to have had the chance to meet you and the other bloggers at our DIY/Maker roundtable discussion at the office yesterday. Hope your trip back home is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a pleasure to meet you too Dave! Thank you for the lovely pen! -Virginia

      Delete