Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Day 18 - Sauteed Chicken

A last minute decision to make dinner had me heading to the grocery store after work.  I had already picked out some recipes so before leaving work, I pulled up this recipe for sauteed chicken with corn and edamame from Real Simple.

After a quick call to my mom to see what we already had, I headed to Walmart to pick up corn and chicken for dinner.  It was a quick trip, which is always nice when it's a trip to Walmart.  I called Charlotte to see if I could buy fresh edamame, but found out that you can't get it fresh around here.  Bummer.  There's just something about spring that makes me want fresh edamame.

While we were on the phone she said "I can tell you're getting addicted to having your dinners."  I think she's right.  There are some nights when all I want is a homemade dinner and the challenge of making it myself.  And then there are nights when all I want is someone to make it for me.

Cooking this meal was a fun change to what I normally do; a) I cooked bacon for the first time and b) the chicken started on the stove and then went into the oven (another first time thing).

I'm pretty terrible at cooking chicken, but I'm starting to know when it's done without having to slice it open. I still slice it to check, just in case.  When the chicken came out of the oven it was moist, juicy, and perfectly done.

Cooking bacon was interesting.  For this recipe, the bacon needed to be crispy so that I could easily crumble it.  I definitely burnt it a little, but with it being bacon bits you really couldn't taste that.  The recipe called for 4 ounces of bacon.  How much is four ounces?  I had no clue, so I used three strips.  The bacon was so good with the corn and edamame that I wish I would have use more strips.  It was soooo good.

I know this is not the most appetizing picture, but (unless it's rice) I hate when my food mixes.  I prefer my foods not to even touch in the slightest.  You know those plastic plates you can buy that have three sections?  I want that in normal dinnerware.  I love having a place for all my food that doesn't require any food mixing.  Food mixing only happens on my terms, folks, and never before I am actually eating it.

This meal was very good and, other than adding more bacon, I wouldn't change a thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment