Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Coffee Table: Sanded and Primed!

This coffee table has been my latest project.  And as you saw yesterday, I have some pretty awesome inspiration for this little sucker.

Being that this little guy has been beaten up pretty bad, sanding was number one on the to-do list.  Plus, it has a clear varnish on it and that needed to be roughed up in preparation for painting.

This is when I'm thankful to be home.  The driveway was the perfect place to start this sanding project because it didn't require me to wipe down every surface.  If there was dust everywhere from sanding, it didn't matter one bit.  Especially because my dad had already made a mess before I even started.

Thanks to this amazing power sander, the job didn't take long at all.  Honestly, I don't think I would have done this had I needed to sand the entire thing by hand.  I just don't do that.  Sanding is ridiculously difficult, time consuming, and boring.

I'm not usually one who volunteers to wear safety goggles - but I have brand new glasses on my face and no vision insurance to buy new ones.  With all the splinters flying off this table, I figured safety glasses were a good call.

Other than roughing up the surface for painting, I'm not sure I did any good with the sanding.  This table is still a mess.  The edges are horrific, but really didn't expect anything better.  This table is super old and it looks pretty good for it's age considering all it's been through.

The next step was priming.  I used a white primer since I want the herringbone pattern to be teal and white.

This was the status of my coffee table as of Sunday night, when I finally called it quits for the weekend.  After a little inner pep talk, I walked away from an unfinished project.  That is not easy to do.  I hate not finishing my projects quickly.  Three coats of primer later (just to be safe), I have a lovely white table that is ready for the next step...

Hello Carlisle!

1 comment:

  1. Wow - this is going to look beautiful. (Cracks me up that soon as your mom gets her garage cleaned out so she can put her car inside again...the table trumps it! But I don't think she minds.)