Thursday, May 31, 2012

Coffee Table: Complete!

It's done and it looks wonderful.  It perfectly matches the color in the quilt my mom made for me and it looks great in the room.

In case you missed it: in this post I show you the coffee table and my inspiration for this makeover, in this post I tell you about sanding and priming the table, and in this post I tell you about taping and painting.

Ok, now for the big finish:
After allowing the first part to dry, I taped over the stripes I had already painted.  Then to make sure I got my herringbone pattern right, I marked which way the first set of stripes were going.  I cut more strips (thank you silhouette), put them on, painted the green, and then removed the tape.

I love how it turned out.

It is by no means perfect, but you almost can't tell because the stripes are so thin.  Also, because the whole table looks like this, none of the imperfections stand out.  A lovely commenter gave a great suggestion:  put on the tape and then paint the primer again.  That way, anything that would squeak under the tape would be the same color as what's already under there.  Then do another coat in the great.

I had also heard you can do the first coat in mod podge to really seal the edges of the tape.  Those ideas are great and I have actually used them before, but (to be brutally honest) I was just way too lazy to do that.  This weekend project had turned into a two week project and I was just ready to have my tv back.

After a clear coat to protect the paint, I put it in place with some help from my mom (told you I'd rope in the rents on this project).

I really love how it turned out.  It adds a lot of color to the room and makes a great tv stand.  Now, I just need to work on a better way to store my dvds; a way that's not so...bulky.

One last before and after:

Man, I love that green...and I love that tv.  Now if I can just talk the rents into putting cable in my room then I'd really be in business.


  1. I've been lurking around your blog for a while now, but this time I felt like I needed to say something: I absolutely love what you did to this coffee table/tv stand.

    I've got my eyes on a Silhouette machine, but it is SO SO expensive in Brazil it's not even funny, twice as much as in the US, around 600 dollars =(

    I love Cam and simply ADORE Charlie.



    1. Hi Keks! Thank you so much for reading my blog and commenting! I'm glad you like the table.!

      What a shame that the silhouette is so expensive for you. Hopefully that price will come down soon!!

      Thanks again for reading my blog!