Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Tilt Shifting

While browsing the internet over the weekend, I discovered a tutorial to create a tilt shift photograph.
Tilt shift lenses focus on a single part of the photo and shift (blur) the surrounding area to create an optical illusion of miniaturized scenery. Real tilt shift lenses are quite expensive, but a similar effect can be achieved by using Photoshop after you take the photo.
 The tutorial seemed simple enough, so I thought I'd give it a try.



The website said to choose a photo with an elevated viewpoint, so I chose this photo.  This is the shot straight out of the camera, no edits.



This is what it looks like after following the instructions in the tutorial.  I wasn't too pleased with this outcome, so I started looking through my old photos for something I could used.  I don't typically take photos from this viewpoint, so I had to go back pretty far.  I dug up some photos from our trip to Europe in 2006 and tried it on them.



Before
After


Before

After



Before
After
This last one is my favorite.  Its such a simple process.  If you have Photoshop, I recommend giving it a try. It's a nice way to stretch your brain and be creative.  Just for fun, I tried it on a photo of Charlie - yeah, that didn't turn out so well.

2 comments:

  1. Very cool! I've seen this before on here. http://www.moillusions.com/2011/06/6-cool-examples-of-tilt-shift.html Maybe now you'll take more picture from that angle :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think these turned out so nicely! I especially like the first one from your Europe trip with that lovely house - gorgeous! I'll have to give this a try...

    ReplyDelete