Tuesday, March 6, 2012

A Saw Mill and an Iron Plantation

I hopped out of bed Saturday afternoon (no, I was not sleeping, I was watching Grimm on my iPad) because I just had to do something.  I had wanted to take pictures in the morning, but it was gray and muggy and gross. In the late afternoon, the sun was out.  Carrying my camera bag, I headed into the kitchen to gather my junk so I could leave and go exploring.  My dad offered to be my ride and we went in search of some good photos.

One of the places we headed to was, well, how should I say this?  I try not to give away too much info on who I am and where I live on this blog, so technically I can't tell you where we went, but I'll tell you this - there's a lot of old machinery and a working saw mill.

I love seeing the detail and time in these old machines.  It makes me think about how many people have used this machine.

This picture is the front of an old barn. That black line goes straightish across the entire front, but not the sides.  I have no clue how it got there, I just know I like it.

The roof on this building certainly does not look like a roof; it looks like the forest floor.  I wonder how old it is.  Whenever I go on these photo taking journeys, I always feel a little like a goof.  For example, to take this picture I had to stand on the bed of a random truck.  Good thing there wasn't anyone to tell me no.

This trailer was full of branches and sticks that had been haphazardly thrown inside.  It seems that someone makes baseball bats, or was at least experimenting.

This was our ride around town.  It's a beautiful BMW and it is such a smooth ride; a far cry from the Harley.  If I drank milk and ice cream before riding the Harley, I could make a milkshake.  I don't have a helmet of my own, so I had to borrow my brother's old one.  His head was definitely skinnier than mine.  The helmet worked fine, but it was a little snug.  Let's put it this way, I had fish face the whole time.
Off to another location!  This historical site showcases an early American "iron plantation."  The machinery is incredible.  
This picture is for Esther because I thought she would like to see a horse-drawn cart with some orange on it.  It makes me wonder if this is period-appropriate paint.  Were they big fans of orange back in 1771?

My dad and I were surprised to find that this is a full blown historical site.  We were even more surprised to find a visitor's center and 3 park rangers on duty.  We have lived near this our whole lives, but I have never been and my dad hadn't been there since he was young.  It was very interesting, but since it was almost closing time, we weren't able to stay long.

Do all historical sites have chickens clawing through horse poo for dinner? Hmm, do I need to censor this photo?  Nah, it looks just like dirt.  Yeah, just dirt.  Nothing to see here, folks.

At first, I thought these two guys were roosters because of their unusual color.  After some careful Google searching, I have discovered they are Plymouth Rock chickens; whether they are guys or gals, I'll never know.  Feel free to enlighten me with your chicken knowledge. 

I get the impression that they are a little snobby.  

This guy was my favorite.  He is huge and his legs are like tree trunks.   You can't see it in this photo, but when I took this he was getting his butt scratched by another visitor.  I was hoping to get some better shots, but this guy was in butt-scratching heaven and wasn't going anywhere.  

Look at those seriously big feet.  I know it's hard to tell in this picture because there is nothing to compare them to, but take my word for it, those are big honkin feet.  

Since I only took a picture of 1/2 of this guys feet, this is probably a photography no-no.  They always say you don't want to cut people in weird places.  Cutting off half of his appendages may put this photo into that category, but it also make my imagination start spinning.  When I see this photo, I like imagine that these feet belong to a very intriguing human and it makes me laugh.  It's sort of like how I imagine things living in Charlie's beard

An imagination is a terrible thing to waste.  


  1. People say that about feet, but I feel the same as you! I love weird cut offs because it makes me think. It's startling almost. With a perfectly framed photo you feel satisfied, but I love how funky cropping is a bit jarring. It creates a different emotion for sure.

    Love your photos! And your blog!

    1. Hi Samantha! I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes the weird cropping! I just checked out your blog and your little puppies are SO cute! They must be very energetic. Thanks for the compliments and thanks for stopping by!

  2. You see the things I would miss. However, I could live without a shot of a chicken. (Did I ever mention I hate chickens?) I love that barn door picture.

  3. Love these Gin. And love your locations. I haven't been to either of those places in forever. It's great that you and Dad could go and find such great pieces in all that history. And I do love the orange. They obviously had great taste in 1771 :)