Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Day 13 - Tacos

For someone who has been trying to take on complicated dishes and new cooking techniques, tacos were a very welcomed break.  It was so simple that it didn't even require a recipe; unless you count the instructions on the back of the Old El Paso packet, which I do not.




Maybe it's the fact that February has fewer days than other months, but I've just been a little off lately.  I forgot to pick a recipe Sunday night.  I always do my shopping on Monday, so during my break at work I searched for something to make.  I set my sights on curry, but as I was driving to the grocery store all I could think about was all the ingredients I was going to buy and the time it takes to prepare.  No thanks.

I called my mom to make sure I knew how to make the taco meat and then I headed off to collect my ingredients.  I'm a simple girl; give me tomatoes, cheese, and sour cream and I'm good.  As I headed to the butcher counter, I was full of confidence when I said "1 lb 85% lean ground beef, please."  The girl behind the counter said "Can you point to that?  I'm not usually back here."  In my head, I replied "Same here."

On my way out, I stopped to get Courageous from Redbox.  I hear it's very good, but I don't know why I ever get movies from Redbox.  I didn't watch it Monday and I don't know when I'll get to it.  That $1 a night really adds up.  Ok, back to dinner...



The only cooking I actually had to do was browning the meat and adding the seasonings.  I know I could have gotten more adventurous with this and actually found a recipe, but PSSAs are next week and school has been crazy.  Plus, we have dress down days all week and the kids are extra energetic which has me drained by the time I get home.  Our students have a strict dress code they have to follow.  To get them pumped for testing, they are allowed to dress down all week.  Monday was hat day, Tuesday was college sweatshirt day, and today is mismatch day.  Anyway, all that explains why I stuck to something simple this week.



This meal was simple, but if you count the time it took me to unload/load the dishwasher before dinner - it still took me 30 minutes.  Thirty minutes is a long time when you're starving.





In hindsight, I probably should have cut my tomatoes a little smaller, but everything else was perfect.  Absolutely perfect.  Taco night is the best.


Totals:
1 shopping trip
1 phone call
0 iPhone searches
30 minutes
4 dinners
0 lunches (too hard to pack)





3 comments:

  1. I always love tacos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok - this reminds me of what Ryan & I call "Taco Dumps"

    Seriously. They are super easy. Super Yummy.

    http://www.funkyvintagekitchenblog.com/2011/04/chicken-squares-chicken-bundles-taco.html

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh my word Krit, those look so good. I seriously need to make those!

      Delete