Thursday, February 2, 2012

Smashing Magazine Entry: Take 1

Last week, I posted some photos from a walk I had taken in the snow.  One of those photos is my particular favorite.


This is the shot straight out of the camera - no edits, no flim flam.



After a little help from Photoshop and RadLab, I really had a photo that I loved.

On the first of every month, Smashing Magazine posts desktop wallpapers to download for free.  These wallpapers are submitted by designers/photographers/ordinary people.  Anyone can enter anything, so I decided to go for it.  Why not, right?  What's the worst that could happen?

Spoiler alert: they didn't pick mine.



After some more editing and designing, I had a finished wallpaper; my first submission to this monthly contest and definitely not my last.  There is a surprising number of criteria you must meet before submitting your design, but overall it's very simple.

I was pretty bummed that they didn't pick mine, but when I saw what they did choose it became totally understandable.  This months designs are really good.  But ya know what, my family likes my design and my mom currently has it as her background - that's good enough for me.

If you would like to download this wallpaper:

  • click on the image below to enlarge it
  • right click and hit "save image as"
  • save the image and you're good to go!






9 comments:

  1. I think it's a great shot. It's on my desktop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just looked at the ones that made it on Smashing Mag and yours is far better than lots they picked!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Auntie Karen, I sort of think so too. It seems like they didn't really use any photos this month and only picked desktops with illustrations and graphic designs. Bummer! -Virginia

      Delete
    2. totally agree!

      Delete
  3. I look forward to getting a new desktop from Smashing Magazine every month but I was very dissapointed with their current selections. I think this picture is fabulous and am changing it to my desktop right now! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the sweet compliment Aimee! I'm glad you like it! -Virginia

      Delete
  4. I know I'm biased but yours is MUCH better. It will be my desktop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you better like it! You're my sister, you are obligated to love everything about it.

      Delete